Vaginal bleeding 10 months after debulking

• 7 replies
  • 5 subscribers

Just an update on this. Vaginal bleeding was a symptom of a new tumour at the top of my vagina. I had medication and had it zapped with radiotherapy within weeks of the scan. Any unexpected bleed needs investigating immediately. 

Anyone had vaginal bleeding a year or so after debulking? I had complete hysterectomy, bowel resection and stoma plus omentum and liver surgery. 
I have been on Niraparib since March and have been really well. I started bleeding yesterday morning just spotting at first. Since then more bleeding and overnight. It is bright red. I don’t understand this and wonder if it’s a reoccurrence of my peritoneal cancer.

• Hello Onk

I would think that this is best reported to your doctor so that you can be checked out and hopefully reassured. Give them a call rather than sit and worry. The bleeding is happening for a reason and whatever that reason is, it is better to find out. It may well be nothing to be concerned about but I always think it is better to err on the side of caution. 

You could give the Support Line a call and speak with one of the nurses but I would think they would probably say to get checked. You are welcome to call though if you feel talking it through first would help. Number is at the bottom of this.

Good Luck

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you very much Jane. I called my wonderful Macmillan chemo nurse yesterday and also this morning. She is going to email my oncologist and also the surgeon who did my op. She is going to ask them if they feel they need to order a scan. l had been doing some heavy gardening a couple of days earlier and l wonder if l could have torn something internally by pulling and lifting. I just wondered if anybody reading this had had a similar experience. 

• Well done, hopefully you will hear back soon. That is a good point though about the gardening, it could well be an explanation. I had my hysterectomy last year and have been told to report any bleeding but also that over doing things, even when healed can sometimes cause a bit of bleeding. Although I have not had bleeding, I still get a lot of aches and pains there when I over do things- and that is often gardening too. Good luck

• Thank you very much this is very reassuring. I have had a steady bleed all day and mild stomach pain.
     My temp is normal and BP slightly raised but l am stressed. l think it is either caused by a slight tear or a return of cancer on my bowel. I will see what the nurse says tomorrow. She thinks my oncologist will order a scan. Hopefully l will be a bit better tomorrow. Thank you very much for answering. I really appreciate it - l hope you are keeping well x

• My blood pressure normally goes up when I am stressed too. I hope tomorrow goes ok with the nurse. Good luck

• My Macmillan nurse and Oncology phoned me this morning. Scan has been ordered asap. Then appointment with oncologist. Thanks again 

• That's good to hear, what ever is causing it, it's best they check it out. I hope the scan is done quickly and that it brings reassurance