Moving onto maintenance pill, Olaparib

• 4 replies
  • 5 subscribers

Hi, 

I was diagnosed with Primary Peritoneal last November.  A biopsy confirmed it was a gynae department cancer.  I have had 6 rounds of Carboplatin, 4 of them with Paclitaxel.  Last 2 cycles were withou the pacli because I was getting bit of peripheral neuropathy in my feet.  I also had a full hysterechtomy and omentum removal after the 5th cycle.

I'm feeling OK.  Last chemo cycle was on 30 May and my hair is coming back.  Now I'm starting on Olaparib which looks an evil little pill with side effects, but will may keep the cancer in check for a while, so I'm all for it.  My oncologist and his team and the surgeon who did the hysterechtomy are all amazing as far as I am concerned.  

So i'll wait to see what happens with this maintenance pill.  I have a CT on Saturday so that will show them what's happening at the moment.

Nobody has said the cancer is curable but neither have they said I can have no more treatment, so I'm staying positive.  I do think I'm feeling well as its a break between chemo and the next pill though. 

I havn't joined in the threads before, although it has been a boost to me to read other people's experiences, so I will try to help where I can going forward.  There's maybe a bit more info in my profile. 

• Hi, 

I saw your mention of Olapharin and I thought I'd just reply to reassure you. 

My mums 82 she tested bracca2 positive, and she's been on it now for 13 months after Ovarian Cancer, she's had hysterectomy, Omentum removed plus 18 treatments of Carboplatin and Taxol (?) 9 weekly doses pre op, break of 2 months around hysterectomy then a further 9 weeks after.

She has monthly blood work and 3 monthly CT scans and so fast no sign of re occurrance, she's classed as in remission.

The tablets look scary, but so far she's had no side effects from them (but then again she sailed thru chemo with very little issues!) I'm hoping I do the same!

• Hi Anniie

Thank you very much for your swift reply.  It is very reassuring to hear this.  Your mum sounds like she has a strong constitution!  I too have the BRCA2 gene, had the full hysterechtomy and only 6 chemos though.  I have had a few side effects but nothing very debilitating.  So we'll see what this new pill does to me.   I have had some time off for a few months so am back to normal and don't want to lose my new energy and less foggy brain.  These things are cumulative and creep up on you.

It sounds like you may be on the same journey?  we are all at different stages.  It is good to talk to others in the same boat.

Monika

x

• Hi, 

Mums pretty amazing tbh, she's taken it all in her stride despite being diagnosed right as lockdown struck, thankfully I'm registered as her carer so I was able to go to all her appointments and treatments with her (I jumped through a LOT of hoops to do that tho) 

I've just been diagnosed with endemetrial cancer, just waiting for operation date and treatment plan now.

Not sure if it makes it easier or harder that this isn't all new to me though! 

• Hi Anniie

I'm sorry to hear about your cancer, each type is so different, a whole new vocabulary awaits.  It will be no doubt different when you are the actual patient.  The side effects are a shock as it is very poinsonous to your system, but I was so grateful to have it, I was determined to cope with it.  I'm 67 and do feel I have to live with this disease now.

People say I seemed to cope well with it all, but it was a mind game,  if I said I was OK I felt better.  I was cross with my body because I have always been well, so I was not going to let these side effects bother me too much.  But I was careful to make sure the oncologist got the clear picture and that's why they took me off the paclitaxel for the last 2 treatments.  And I'm glad they did,  I can't feel my feet properly now, it has got worse as the treatment finished.  I've only had 6 chemos and some people have been having it for years.

I do think every person with cancer has a different experience, our bodies are unexpected and we do seem to look quite well on the outside.  I found it good to dip into these forums because the PPC seemed so rare, but actually there's a lot of people out there and the docs know what they are doing I think. Good luck to you and your mum.