Worried about penis skin condition

• 3 replies
  • 7 subscribers

Hi

Three years ago I was diagnosed with and successfully treated for base of tongue cancer, this evidently was caused by the HPV16 virus.

I am aware that HPV16 increases the chances of other cancers such as anus, cervical and penis.

For some time now I have been worried about the skin of my penis. I have been to my GP, the sexual health clinic and a dermatologist and they don't seem concerned. 

However the condition worries me!

I have a patch of skin which covers basically the right hand side of my flaccid penis which is quite wrinkled (lines along the penis rather than across), when erect and after some sexual activity the this area of skin has a very fine white skin flaking.

The surface of the glans seems to have the appearance of very scrunched up paper that has been flattened out again

I have tried just using water to wash my genitals in case the soap was irritating the skin...this seems to have a positive effect but does not get of the problem entirely.  

Moisturising with Aquamax (as supplied by the sexual health clinic) helps a little but does not cure the problem.

I have been suffering from this for some years but has only recently become more pronounced.

I have no sores or swollen glands. 

I dont want to come across as one of the worried well, or offend anyone who is suffering with this, but my previous experience with cancer and the presence of HPV16 but this is causing me some concern. I'm 61 and so realise that things must start to go down hill regarding skin condition.

I had a bad experience with my tongue cancer being diagnosed, it taking over six months to be diagnosed correctly.

I wonder if anybody else recognises these symptoms? 

I hope someone can help.

Regards 

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Cancer's manky really isn't it? It makes you worry more than you did over things when they're not right.

For me, my penile cancer was nothing like you've described. I had a tiny hard spot on my remaining foreskin (I'd had a circumcision which was arguably not terribly well done a few years previously, so it was very much a half-cut). It was like it for months - alongside that I had what was at the time diagnosed as recurrent balanitis, but then after several months of no obvious change that hard little patch began to grow, and that was what drove the GP to refer me to the hospital and then the diagnosis of cancer. No doubt the symptoms can vary, but mine don't sound like those you've described. I hope it's not, and wish you well, Cancer of all types isn't something you'd choose is it?

• Hi DaddyPig

Thanks so much for your quick response to my post, your detailed description is very much appreciated. My symptoms do seem very different to yours... and every other story and picture I could find online. It just worries me that it will not clear up....

I will try to get to the bottom of this just for peace of mind. 

Good luck for the future.

Regards

Steve

• Any concerns get your doctor to refer you as it is important to catch this cancer early. 

My husband had his diagnosis in 2014 and OP in October.  He had several visits to gp given various creams over 6 months. His 1st diagnosis T1 then it was upgraded to a T2 . He had a glansectomy and a bit more removed to make sure they got it all. He was told no more check ups needed after 3 years and luckily no other treatment needed. Since then he has had Bowen's disease diagnosed in one hand had a nail removed and tip of another finger and waiting on dermatologist appointment to see similar symptoms on opposite hand. He considers himself fortunate to be alive but certain areas of our relationship will never be the same.

I do think knowledge and treatment varies from where you live our doctor had never seen it before.