For those that had a total penectomy, this involves urinating.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 2 subscribers

ok, I get from now on I have to sit while urinating. What choice do I have now? My question is for those that have been dealing with this for a while now. When I pee, it's not like before when I would have a steady stream flowing from my body. I kind of trickles around my bottom, I guess the British word is bum. It goes on either side of my bottom and kind of just falls into the toilet. Well, you can imagine the mess that makes. When I was able to stand up, you would go and then give it a couple shakes and off you were on your merry way. Now I have to really clean myself lest I smell like urine. Another thing is the type of toilet seat you have makes a big difference. I have a round seat and this makes the problem even worse. Some times it will leak out from the toilet onto the floor. Great, another thing I have to clean besides my bottom. I have found the longer toilet seats with the divide work the best. Plus, I was thinking if I could ever afford it, buy one of those fancy toilets that spray water on your bottom to clean you off. But, for now I have to use a warm wash cloth. Has anyone else had this issue and if so did it go away or is it just the way it is now? Thanks

• Hi, I had my penectomy and perineal done in 2014, and yep I have always had issues urinating.. dribbles actually... and at I have had to have it reopened in two occasions due to scar tissue blocking the opening.  This is just something that you need to get used to. I think I am "lucky" to have had this procedure, as some who get penile cancer cannot get this done, as the cancer as spread into their uretha and once there more complications.  For cleanliness and to help reduce the chance of infection  I use toilet tissues to wipe and clean myself., also carry a small packet in my pocket and a small bottle hand sanitizer.  There are worst things out there that could be wrong.. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to WayneE

The reply that you've had to have reopened twice because of scar tissue sent chills through me. I'm afraid of that very thing happening to me. Yea, I bring wet wipes with me also. As for worse things. yea there is always someone that is worse off than yourself. You don't think that way though when your dealing with pain. It always helps, well not always, but at least it's good to know others are going through the same thing. 

I lost my penis because of the tumor pushing outward in my groin. It was excruciating. I had a stomach flap done on me. They took my muscles from my right side chest and stomach and basically rolled it down into my groin area to keep my intestines in me since they had to remove all of the area in my groin.

Right now I'm dealing with the pain from that by taking Oxycodone, Oxycontin and muscle relaxers. Some days are worse than others, but all I can do is take it one day at a time. 

Have you had any other issues with cancer since your operation? 

• This thread is being marked for retention by the moderator, as some members are still finding this useful.