Life after pancreatic cancer

• 5 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Whether you have just been diagnosed, had whipple surgery or going through chemotherapy I would just like to say don’t give up hope. I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer 3 years ago and given 3 to 6 months to live. By some miracle I was eligible for whipple surgery (not a forgone conclusion), following which I had chemotherapy to target cancerous lymph nodes floating round my stomach. It was not an easy time, especially for my family, but not nearly as scary as I first thought. Unfortunately I developed a giant hernia after surgery which made me look at least 8 months pregnant; an unusual look on a nearly 60 year old woman! Again by some miracle I found a surgeon who was willing to operate so subsequently had to undergo a second major operation a year after whipple. To cut a long story short I’m now on 3 monthly scans; the last of which my oncologist actually said there was no sign of cancer. At times I have to pinch myself - I can’t quite believe how far I’ve come! I’m writing this in the hope that it might just help someone going through the same situation whatever stage. Thanks for listening x

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

That's great to read about your positive experience dealing with pancreatic cancer and thanks very much for taking the time to share with everyone here.

Wishing you all the best for the future.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Molly mood. I was uplifted by your post, my husband had pppd surgery to remove pancreatic cancer in June 2022 and started 6 months of folfirinox chemotherapy in September 2022 and is also having 3 monthly scans. He is very well at the moment and we enjoy every minute in-between scans but suffer scanxiety while waiting for results. I wish you and everyone else living with cancer my very best wishes. 

• This is so good to hear Molly .

I have just received my 15th dose of chemo for pancreatic cancer  ( 30 really as I have two )  I have  coped well until now but I  just  feel so exhausted...even with the steroids for 3 days..I'm more  awake but no more energy.    I have 3 cycles left ....I  know I've been to an MDT meeting  about  surgery..but have yet to be confirmed..  I did get a hint off an oncologist..but I'll wait....my professor said it would  be radiation after chemo...then chemo after the surgery if I get it . ATM I don't have any quality as I'm in bed most of the time..my head wants to do things but at the  moment my body doesn't  let me.

I'm so pleased for  you .

• Hi Bettykitten. Thank you for your kind words. I totally get scanxiety!  Even after a few years the 2 weeks in between scan and results turns me into a ‘demon’. Thankfully the people around me understand and “go with the flow”. I wish you and your husband well.

• Hello. I too felt more and more tired the further I got into chemo - largely due to the fact that it builds up in your system I think I’m right in saying. To me rest is the best thing you can do for your body in that situation. I hope you hear about surgery soon and try to stay as positive as you can - easy to say I know! My best wishes.