Mum just diagnosed with pancreatic cancer

• 7 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi all,

My lovely mum (63) has just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer after going to and from the GP since May 23 with IBS-type symptoms and stomach pain. The GP spent months investigating food intolerances and allergies and only sent her for a CT scan once her blood tests had shown no allergies. 

Apparently her tumour is 4cm by 3cm and inoperable, but today we got the results from her PET scan which show it hasn’t spread further in her body. This feels like a tiny ray of hope, and I’d love to hear from others who might have been in this position to understand what that might mean for her prognosis. 

She is on tablets to help with her digestive enzymes but nothing else at present. Her biopsy was inconclusive so they need to do another one next week. She’s always been the healthiest person I know - doesn’t drink too much, never been overweight, never smoked, always stayed fit, and no history of cancer in the family, so the news has hit us all like a tonne of bricks. 

I guess I’m like everyone else that’s new here, trying to find answers and ways to process what is going to be a horrible and heartbreaking time. 

Lisa 

• Hi, I'm sorry that you are going through this. It's a very difficult diagnosis. It's good that it has not spread. The enzymes will help her. My husband was given six months. He lived for four years. He was not able to complete the Whipple procedure, but they did try. Try to start chemo as early as possible. The chemo helped shrink the cancer enough that they were able to try the Whipple procedure. but because of other issues they were not able to complete it.   He just had chemo and radiation. It also took way too long for a diagnosis for us also it was almost a year before they did a scan. Be vocal and ask for what you want. And if you don't agree with something speak up. I'm sure those doctors were sick of me, but we had him for four years. Also don't listen to any timelines. Everyone is different. I wish you all good things.

You are stronger than you think. 

• Thank you so much for replying, your experience gives me hope that we can at least think about making plans to spend as much time together as we can, and make some amazing memories together. My only experience with pancreatic cancer was a colleague who passed away within 6 weeks of her diagnosis so we’ve been pretty terrified of what might be to come. I’m very sorry for your loss x

• You are very welcome. Enjoy your holiday together.

• Hi Lisa,

I just saw your post by chance. I am a 56 yo fit male, I am going to keep it brief. I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in Sept. Before that, my bowel habit had changed (since March), no other obvious symptoms. Eventually sent to do an ultra sound and showed a mass in in pancreatic. My civil partner and I were shocked and devastated. I was so confused as info didn't come to me in a logical and helpful manner. At times, they didn't come to me via GP nor hospital staff who carried out tests and scans. Anyway, initially they told me that tumour was 4x6cm and inoperable as it was in contact with an artery. But they discovered that this is not a 'normal' pancreatic cancer tumour, it is something called neuroendocrine tumour which is less aggressive and require different treatment. I went on to do a Gaillium PET scan which showed the cancer is localised and on closer examination, it showed that tumour is not in direct contact with the artery, the surgeon and the MDT (Multidisciplinary Team) therefore decided that it can be removed.

I just had a Whipple surgery to have the tumour removed, tomorrow (Friday) is my 4th week since I had the operation. I am now back home recovering.

My experience is that you will be in shock and in disbelieve (I still am!), the world seems to have turned upside down, but don't jump into conclusion until all the facts are presented. If they say it is inoperable, what's the reason, if it hasn't spread? It's good news that it hasn't spread! Her PET scan will be discussed by the MDT and they (a group of consultants) will decide the best treatment plan for your mum. You can also get a second opinion at a different hospital or ask for copies of all the scans and take it to a different surgeon or pancreatic consultant.

Don't give up hope!

Best wishes

Willy.

• Thank you Willy, and I’m so pleased to hear your story. Mum is having her second biopsy today as the first one just found ‘suspicious’ cells, whatever that means! 
    Wishing you all the best in your recovery from the operation and into the future. 
    Lisa

• Hy I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer 2 years ago I was told it was inoperable it haven't spread but after 6 months of chemo it had shrunk so they decided to operate which was a success I had a whipple surgery then 6 months of more chemo and now just 6 month ct scans to keep an eye on the pancreas so just keep positive all the way and keep smiling xx

• Hi I am.so pleased things are looking good for you. I have a grade 4 cancer in the pancreas, but unfortunately, it has spread into the liver. I have been told I can have chemo, but I have spent 8 months being sick and do not relish continuing with sickness. I am 81 and know that I have been lucky to be here at all. I have, unfortunately now started with backache, a thing I have never suffered from before. Apparently it is part of the process. The doctor gave me morphine when I sent to see her this week. I don't quite know why as it is supposed to be one of the last things given. Mind you my prognosis is 4 to 6 months, so maybe my back will get worse.

I am Very worried about my husband. I have spoilt him and he doesn't know one end of the kitchen to the other. I will now have to teach.him. He is 75 and not good himself.

I will keep fingers crossed for you that things will stay positive. Take care and keep warm.