Pancreatic cancer

• 3 replies
  • 48 subscribers

My partner died last year from this last year. Such a shock, he was fit and healthy and within 3 months was gone. Suffered extreme pain for weeks despite hospice nurses doing all they could with pain control, and couldn't do anything at end. He was lovely proud ma n reduced to a shell at the end..... makes me so sad remember his suffering, he was at home where he wanted to be at the end with me. .....now I'm feeling angry why pancreatic cancer is un heard of.....it's the worst silent killer of them all.......all cancers need researching but for god's sake if it's not even highlighted or mentioned, it will stay silent and kill more people so fast.....

• Barty I know we’ve chatted on another thread, but I couldn’t agree with you more. It doesn’t get the coverage that other types do. And it’s so aggressive.

Its just an awful disease.

Sending you love 

• Oh Im so very sorry. My husband was diagnosed 15 months  ago and similarly, a very fit 58 year old is shrinking before my eyes. Its absolutely heartbreaking that there's not more in place in terms of early detection. Send my best wishes... 

• I was diagnosed in January 2023 and have had 20 cycles of chemotherapy so far. Generally I feel quite well in terms of appetite etc. I ,too, was pretty fit prior to diagnosis (water skiing , downhill skiing , travelling and hiking) but suffered for 3-4 months with poor appetite/taste etc. I lost about 10 kilos it have regained 5-6 in the last several months. I share your frustration on the apparent absence of innovation and (seemingly low) interest in other treatment approaches.
    • i have avoided internet searches as this absence of positive content adds to all our collective frustration about the absence of positive developments in treatment. I did finally do some searches recently and came across a modified RNA approach based on personalised immunotherapy. The treatment was premised on using the T cells to undertake the fine tuning. The sample size was minute (30 pancreatic patients) but the results were positive (in terms of immunity response) for about half the participants.
    • The results were published in Nature in May or June of this year. The study is launching a large scale trial (in USA) shortly.
    • Finally there are some search engines highlighting other studies and clinical trials within the EU that I have started to look at.
    • Overall though I do agree that it does often feel like we are a lost tribe of sufferers of this disease.