Whipple surgery

• 4 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi, I am nearly a year after whipple surgery to remove a tumour in my pancreas, I am finding it difficult to get over my eating habits,body changes and having a little survivors guilt

• Hiya Plantlady,

I had whipple surgery in September and am now undergoing chemotherapy. I had to have a 2nd surgery because the insides became loose, I think a load of stitches have been left inside and I can't eat large meals because the stomach feels tight. Are you experiencing the same tightness? And did you have chemo? Why are you feeling guilt? 

• Hi plant lady, 

First, can I say well done for getting to the whipple procedure( it seems so hard to get this decision for the surgeons to operate) I am really pleased for you. Sending you a big hug 
    please do not feel guilty for surviving this uwful decease. I guarantee everyone on here will be very happy and pleased to hear that you are doing so well. 
    This may be a little selfish of me but I was so pleased to see a post that was positive for beating PC… my Mh has been affected by my husband’s Pc so this has really picked me up today. Thank you 

Could you explain a little more about your eating habits and changes to your body? 

Chrissie 

1. Thank you, you are very sweet to say considering what you and your family are going through .
    2. I am sorry happy to have found this forum, I am struggling a lot too with my mental health.
    3. I have lost quite a bit of my tummy and been replumbed a bit so eating and putting on weight is challenging, I have to take Creon with everything I eat which can be difficult socially, I have just changed so much from this I don’t feel myself.. take care
  • I agree, it seems whenever my husband has to eat everyone is watching to see what meds his taking and why. My husband is always “ oh I have to take my creon” it’s like a second thought when he needs to eat but is getting better and seems to be eating much more whilst on creon and is now maintaining his weight. 
    has your eating improved since your operation? 

Do you think your MH has improved since your operation? 

would you mind if I asked you a few questions?

Are you in any pain from your remaining Pancras if any was left?

do you have any other side effects from the operation? 
    how long was you in hospital and how long was the recovery?

i am hoping after my husband has radiotherapy and chemo that they will allow his operation but the cancer is currently wrapped around his portal vain and SMA making it inoperable.

Thanks and hugs 

Chrissie