Folfirinox

• 4 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hi all, so we had my dad's oncology appointment & they have decided to try Chemotherapy he will be having Folfirinox, the consultant made out it was mild side effects but after doing some research I am concerned. Has anyone had any experience with this? Many thanks 

• hi, we were told there would be a lot of side effects, from my limited experience (my husband only had 1 chemo session) he had quite bad vomiting even though he had taken the anti sickness drugs.

It lasted a week and then he felt ok.  Sadly he never got the 2nd session as he got jaundice (not down to the chemo), was down to secondary cancer spreading in his liver at a rapid pace. 

• Hello Van life

I am sorry to hear of your Dad's diagnosis. Chemotherapy affects different people in different ways. Folfirinox is a strong chemo. My husband had a number of infusions and the pattern was usually that he was fine immediately after as they gave him steroids for a couple of days, was then tired but recovered in time for the next infusion. However, he then started to get infections which might have been due to lower resistance because of the chemo.

I see from your bio that your dad is keen to try chemo. If he has bad reactions he can always stop.

Squeaky

• Hi Van life

I had 9 cycles of Folfirinox last year. It is pretty hard core but can be effective - it shrink my main tumour by about 50% and I def wouldn't still be here without it. Does your dad have a cancer support nurse? If you can speak to someone like that you will get a lot more useful practical info.

But at the end of the day it is your dad's choice about what treatment he has. He could always give the Folfirinox a try and stop if it is too much.

Good luck!

• Hi there, my Dad had folfirinox following the whipple op and he found it quite hard, so reduced the dose and then tolerated it better. It is serious chemo that has many side effects and nobody can predict response and reactions. I find that one of the hardest things- the unpredictabilty. 

If he finds it too much, they can adjust the dose to see if that helps. 

Its a bit of a trial and error thing and everyone is different. 

I hope he doing ok atm? x