Whipple surgery

• 4 replies
  • 43 subscribers

I will shortly undergo a whipple procedure to remove a 2cms tumour from the bile duct. I realise it's a complex op but a potential lifesaver and be really helpful to hear from anyone who has had the procedure and any tips  or advice experience on post op recovery and life style changes expected. In fact any I fo so I can prepare my mind  to win thru...thanks

• Hello Andyjohn, It's good news that you are able to have the Whipple. I haven't had it but my husband did. His surgeon said that it was like being hit by a lorry.. Although it is complex the surgeons who perform it are very experienced. You will wake up with a huge assortment of tubes and wires coming out from you and these will gradually be removed. The recovery time is from 8 to 10 weeks and you will get used to pacing yourself for the first little while. If you are not already using an enzyme to help you digest that is likely to be needed. And your eating habits may well change. I'm sure you will be able to get through this  and adapt to a new lifestyle.

Squeaky

• Thanks "Squeaky"  for the helpful information. I am already on Creon tablets as my tumour was found thankfully early when I caught jaundice, so have had a stent fitted. Am focusing on the positives and yes it is going to be a long road to recovery, but am so lucky to have been offered the surgery. I hope your husband is adjusting well, and got his life more or less back on track. Has he had to go through chemo as well? AndyJohn

• Hello Andyjohn, I first came on to the this website over six years ago so my experience is quite a while ago. Although my husband recovered well from the surgery there was some cancer probably left and that spread so he died over five years ago. But there are a lot of success stories after the Whipple so I am sure all will go well.

Squeaky

• hi andyjohn.  I had whipple 5 years ago and I had pre-cancerous IPMN in my bile/pancreatic ducts.  it is a long slow recovery with or without chemo.  I did not need chemo.  this is my first time posting on here, but I would say I was 42 when I had surgery, single mum 2 kids.  I went back to office job after 12 weeks, drove at 5 weeks.  this is a major op that will change your lifestyle, in multiple ways that will be different every day.  listen to your body x  even now I am working full time but still struggle energy wise and take naps.  I joined a UK Facebook group and they have been a fantastic support to me.  mainly because I felt that I did not deserve to be contacting macmillan as I actually did not have cancer or chemo.  but I came across this forum and thought I would join.  whipple done at Edinburgh royal infirmary July 2016.