my baeautiful husband told he has a mass on his pancreas

• 6 replies
  • 26 subscribers

My husband had lost so much weight and wasnt eating and was in pain.He was referred for an endoscopy and a follow up ct scan.We were the informed there was  concern about his pancreas  and there would be an MDT meeting the following week .  I  maybe naively understood from the converstion that we, as a family unit would be informed after the meeting. In the meantime my husband had to be rushed to hospital in agonising abdominal pain. The ambulance crew were amazing but they had no control of the hours and hours we would wait on a stretcher in a hospital corridor amongst so many other patients. Hearing patients and staff constantly saying there was no beds and just slowley realizing that everything we had heard on the news was true. I walked the corridor and saw people suffering like my husband and felt utter dispair.  That vision will never leave me. Because of his poorly condition we were eventually found a bed and the medical staff were amazing.The doctor said he had pancreatitis and damage to his spleen. During his hospital stay I was relieved after all maybe they could treat him and all would be well.Only after some days in the hospital did I discover that the MDT meeting was going ahead. I knew  the MTD meeting was on a teusday so my daughter and I arrived as early as visiting could be.When we arrived I asked my husband if anything had been said and he said no. We decided to find staff and ask,  at that point my husband just gasped and said he was told (ALONE) that they had found a mass that could be malignant. When he was told he told me he gulped in shock but pretended to cough. I felt his pain and I have no words. Meanwhile  that day  no one spoke to us as his family. We were left with utter shock and horror. Suffice to say I went home and had a panic attack that I could not control for hours.We are a family unit we love each other it is beyond belief that my husband was left alone with a lifechanging diagnosis and we as his family were not there to hold him, support him, love him. This is only the beggining  of our journey, Hes since had a biopsies taken, and we wait more weeks for the results. Meanwhile our beloved dog had just died and we are in a world of hurt and pain.

• Hi  

So sorry to hear about what you have been going through, that does sound really dreadful and on top of all that losing your dog. Waiting for results is really difficult and of course no matter the result your husband is still ill. 

How are you coping? Do post on here whenever and you might also like to look in on our Family and friends forum and/or Carers only forum  I know I needed a lot of support if I was to be the best for my wife.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hi thankyou for your thoughtful message. Can I be honest I feel like I am drowning. We had booked a forest holiday a while back cause our dog loved it here, When he passed away we decided to come for the remainder of the holiday to try to visualize all the happy times we had with our dog. Since being here my husband is having more pain and eating less, we had a disscussion where we decided to come home early. My heart is breaking my husband has lost so much weight and is so worried, we want to add suppliments to his diet can anyone give us any ideas about that.

• I’m so sorry for you, my husband has a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer with liver metastasis it’s just awful. I too feel like I’m drowning it’s just utter despair he went down to just 7 stone but is now being built up with nj tube down his nose not pleasant you could try speaking to doctor and ask for fortisip drinks which are high in calories and nutrients they come as a juice or a milk shake hope this is of some help 

• Oh my goodness I am so very sorry for you and your husband.I can only imagine the awful  pain and stress you feel. We are still waiting for the results of the biopsies but prior to them being taken we were told he had a tumor on the head and tail of his pancreas.There have been days when Ive laid in bed and had a panic attack that I could not conttrol. I try to act positive in front of him but alone I just want to crumble into a ball of pain.My husband is now 8 stone 7 and weve been trying protein drinks on top of his diet but he is not gaining weight and still losing. I will definatley take on your advise. Meanwhile words are never enough but Im sending you a virtual hug . Thinking of you and your husband

• it’s such an awful time but it’s comforting to speak to people having the same experiences and to know I’m not alone my husband is sleeping more now and I’m worried sick but hoping for some good days he can’t eat food at the minute and is struggling with the creon tablets they are huge does your husband manage these pills. Thinking of you and your family we can do this stay strong 

• Hi my heart absolutley goes out to you,  Never  even for one moment think you are alone.It is so immpossibly hard . My husband can manage the creon tablets but hes still losing weight., There are days that he does well and eats with no pain and other days that are awful and the huge reality  hits me all over again. I so wish that I could comfort you because what you are experiencing now is incredibly  difficult and I can only imagine the emotional toil this must have on you.  You are further along in this awful journey but believe me you are in my thoughts and every time we speak I will  send you a virtual hug you derserve it.  Thinking of you and your husband