Day one of chemo

• 11 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hi All, as I type I am currently sat in the ward waiting room. This is my first treatment day. I have a PICC line fitted already. I just want to get started now. Once I get going I'll be able to deal with whatever is coming, the past fortnight has been full of overthinking and poor sleep. I will let you all know how I get on.

• Got through hospital OK. Couple of vomiting Nauseated face episodes later in day. Didn't realise I could take my anti sickness tablets on first day but now been advised I can. Think my protein drinks didn't help so will give it a miss next chemo day.

• You'll be fine

I'm having chemo too I have 5 left they reduced the chemo by 25% was having bad side effects.

They say the chemo is working I had op they took tumor away just got cancer cells floating around my tumor markers have come down from over a thousand to 35 

That's my story if theirs anything you want to ask me just ask hope all goes well with chemo

I'm here if u need any questions answering good luck

• How many cycles have you got to have? 

• You will get use to it and it will get easier

How many cycles have you got to have? 

• Think it under control now. Got 12 cycles hospital treatment with 46hr pump to take home. Lot more to this with district nurse visits etc

• Tumour markers???

Do these show up in blood tests or CT scans ?

• Hello, I’m not sure which chemo but it sounds like Folforinox. I had 20 cycles and was fortunate not to suffer greatly from side effects. Please watch out for CIPN (chemotherapy induced peripheral neuropathy). There are two platinum based molecules in this cocktail that are associated with CIPN. Nerve damage can be permanent but is always slow to recover. I’m 15 months in and still have problems in hands and feet.

My experience with district nurses and PICC were not good. My wife took over as they have little to no practical experience of dressing changes. Hope you have a more positive experience. Be sure to have your own plan in place to act when side effects kick in, my main criticism of hospital support is lack of clarity as to how to ameliorate these.

Every best wish,

• Yes me to have chemo on Thursday then pump taken off Saturday 

• They show up in blood tests and can tell if the chemo working

I've had no problems with district nurses and doesn't seem to have nerve damage

• Hi Vanderoek, thanks for your reply. I will research this as I feel more info the better. 

I was told to avoid ice cream, chilled drinks due to causing spasms in the throat and wrap up warm when out in cold weather scarf over mouth. 

Would the above help prevent CIPN or is it a case of flagging it up to the care team for medical intervention if I suffer prolonged tingling or numbness in my fingers and toes ?

All advice greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear you're still suffering sending you best wishes.