Creon and pancreatic symptoms

• 2 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi I am new to this forum, my mum has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer only 2 weeks ago after having a CT privately due to the amount of pain she was in and not wanting to wait 3 weeks for a ct on the nhs. I have read her CT report today and she has a large mass in the body of the pancreas and suspected lesions in local lymph nodes and liver. My main concern at the moment is how she feels, she feels sick, her pain is just getting worse, she can’t eat and is so tired, in a week she seems to have gone downhill so fast, it has been since starting the creon, my question is can the cancer take hold of someone so quickly or could the creon play a part? 

I wanted to plan things with mum, wanted to make sure she enjoyed her life as much as possible in whatever time she has left but currently feel robbed of this and we haven’t even had biopsy results or a pet scan! If she is this fragile now how will she even survive chemo - that's if it’s even offered!! 

a month ago my mum was fitter than me, living life to the full, running around after our 2 kids, dancing, walking, laughing and now she sits in a chair or is in bed and can’t even enjoy a nice coffee or a glass of wine which were her favourite things to enjoy… 

I am struggling with how fast this seems to be progressing and desperate for answers to try and help mum… 

she is on anti sickness meds, codeine, paracetamol and oromorph, fortune juice and creon, omeprazole and senna for constipation

Anyone else been in a similar situation or can advise re creon and side effects? 

thank you Relaxed️ 

• He LouDale, I was diagnosed with PC in Dec2022. My condition deteriorated pretty quickly and it was only after admission to my local A&E that the consultant there prescribed Creon. For me it was a game changer! As it’s an enzyme mix it is pretty benign but I would not hesitate to recommend. My only caution is that, along with other vital drugs, it has recently been affected by the post-Brexit supply chain issues (this was reported on Radio 4). When I tried this week at my pharmacy they had none available. And yes I’m still taking it!

• Hi there. My story is very similar to your mums. I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, infected lymph nodes and legions on the liver. Please don’t give up hope. Following surgery and chemotherapy I am still here some 3 years later. Has your mum been assigned a palliative care nurse - mine was able to continually adjust medication so I had very little pain, sickness and various other issues. It was a very difficult time for my 3 children, which is an understatement, but they tried to keep things as normal as possible for me which helped!