Our experience with pancreatic cancer

• 1 reply
  • 23 subscribers

After months of searching these forums high and low for advice and help for our family, I feel compelled to share our experience and any advice that could help someone else. 
Sadly, my Dad recently passed away and I can only describe the time from diagnosis as hellish, support is just not there as it should be. I could not believe how disjointed everything in the nhs was, how slow it all was for such an aggressive cancer ….. we felt like my Dad was just being left to it. 
My advice to anyone living with this awful disease or supporting someone through it, shout as loud as you can for help and do not give up, the help / support won’t come to you and you really have to push. I called MacMillan in times of despair when we were just getting nowhere, they were excellent in guiding us through exactly what to say and how to say it to ensure we got help when needed. 
Am sorry to anyone else finding themselves searching these forums

• Hi GeorgieP welcome to  the forum and I am so very sorry to hear what has been happening for you and your family and the struggles that you have had. I  can relate to what you are saying as my dad died with Pancreatic Cancer almost 4 and a half years ago and it was very quick as well From what I have found out since that Pancreatic Cancer develops very quietly and often by the time symptoms present themselves it can be at a very advanced stage. . Also many of the tests available do not show this up as it might with other Cancers. It was  a fall that took my dad into hospital though we had been back and forth to the GP and he had various tests with no defined outcome. When he got to hospital a Dr noticed his bloated tummy and he was sent for a scan which picked up the Cancer but by that time it was at such and advanced stage it was too late and I lost him 5 weeks later. 

I am so glad that Macmillan were able to be there for you and they are a great organisation who do try their very best to help as they are alle and often have very practical solutions to issues which can help to navigate the Complicated NHS system.

gail

Community Champion Badge