Pancreatic cancer spread to lung

• 11 replies
  • 27 subscribers
  • Well I honestly can't believe what I have been told, in February I had a tumour removed from my lung ..cancer free I was told..follow on appointments to keep a check ( I decided against the removal the lobe due to no activity) .I was told in February that there was something going on on my pancreas...and I have been the one to chase....two endoscopys later I was told on Wednesday that the tumr on my lung was secondary.......SECONDARY....how the hell has this been unknown all this time we are now in September...I need to start chemotherapy, I'm going on Monday to see the oncologist......devastated is an understatement 
  • Hi  

That must have been such a shock to be told that what you thought you were dealing with, ie. lung cancer, is in fact pancreatic cancer with secondary lung cancer.

I'm not a member of this group but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list where it'll be easier for the other group members to see it.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you I'm devastated 

• Sorry to hear this it is so difficult when things go wrong. I have stage 4 pancreatic cancer which is also in my lung, getting my 6th chemo today and CT scan on 26th sept.  Fingers crossed for some progress, good luck with your treatment.

• Oh thanks for this reply, same boat person so to speak.....good luck for today..I've just rang to ask when it's gonna start , no reply as yet ...hope the 26th brings  good news ...how are you feeling with the chemo? Xx

• Hi 6363

Sorry that you had to hear this news especially as you thought it was just the lung.

it is not unknown for them not to know where the primary is. I have a 4cm lump on my pancreas that blocked my bile duct but also cancer on my bowel that blocked my stomach. I have had 2 stents inserted to deal with it. I also have swollen lymph nodes under the lungs.

The good news is that they have found it and you are now in the system. You are only finding out what has already happened. Worse would be if they couldn’t find the primary, not unknown.

My attitude is that everyday you get back from cancer is a bonus, if you see the sunrise you are winning. Chemo will kill any fast growing cancer cells in your body including the lungs and pancreas, so go for it because it will save your life. Cancer is no longer the Big C since the introduction of adjuvant platinum based chemotherapy in the 1970s. It has given hope where there was none.

Try and stay positive because while chemotherapy will kill the cancer cells, a positive attitude will tip the balance in your favour.

I hope this helps

Cheers

Rich

• Agree totally a good positive attitude is everything,  you have your down days it is only natural but taking things a day at a time and spending time with friends and family really helps xx

• It was the reverse for me, was told pancreatic cancer but just a lobe in my lung, the scan before I started chemo revealed it had grown and was a secondary cancer.  I have been coping well on the chemo and on good pain meds along with Creon, I am currently on a trial as my cancer is inoperable, I was diagnosed in May the wait to start chemo was the worst, good luck.xx

• I am new to this board… i to have pancreatic cancer which is now in my lungs.. I start chemo next week and afraid I am wasting my time…looks like you had six.. is it working? Has it slowed the growth.  I am so scared..

please tell me how it is working for you and what kind of chemo

• I’m 14 months in from diagnosis and around 20 cycles of Folforinox. About to switch to second chemo regimen. Diagnosis is the scary bit, treatment offers some hope so grab it. Make sure you have an army of family and friends to help, you’ll likely need it. And develop strategies and tactics (I didn’t) for dealing with side effects, you’ll need them too.

I would say stay positive but I know from experience that is unsustainable so get ready for the ups and downs!

Every best wish and try to avoid fear as much as possible.

• Hi Ssull

I didn't have a secondary in the lung but lymph nodes were swollen under the lung. It spread to the bowel instead but endoscopy removed any blockages. This is the second time I have had cancer, the first was testicular cancer in 2011-12 and chemo gave me 12 years and I saw my children grow up. I started chemo for pancreatic cancer on 30th August, I have had 8 rounds of chemo and the eighth was on a lower maintenance dose because I have had 'great results' and it has shrunk so much. 

Chemo is uncomfortable and you will feel queasy, tired and lose your appetite, but it will save your life. It kills the cancer but just stops short of killing you. The alternative is to give up and let it grow and you will still feel uncomfortable but for no purpose. I have had Folfirinox on 2 week cycles that makes you sensitive to cold and gives you gas. The drugs they give you are all to counteract the side effects. They might fit a PICC line in for your chemo but that is straight forward. 

The sad truth is that Pancreatic Cancer claims so many because patients just give up  after the first or second cycles,. The first is the worst because you are finding out how your body reacts to it. Then doses can be lowered and diets changed to what you can or can't eat. 

I am aiming to be back at work in June. I have a slight hold up with gallstones but that won't stop me finishing off chemo. Once you have chemo in your body, it kills cancer where ever it is, lungs, pancreas, bowel, chemo does not discriminate, but it does work.

I hope this helps

Cheers

Rich