Scared for my dad

• 2 replies
  • 24 subscribers

My dad has just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and I'm struggling to do with this. I want to support him but I'm terrified we're going to lose him. We lost my grandad to it and the stats don't appear good. How do people cope with these things and stay positive? What can I do for my dad?

• Hi Sharon, no advice as such but am in a similar situation and it’s extremely difficult. Sorry that you and your family are going through this also. Do you know much more on his diagnosis yet? 

• Hi Sharon, 

firstly I’m so sorry to hear about your Dad, I know first hand what you’re going through, and it really is the worst thing. 
    I won’t lie to you, staying positive is challenging, but you find your way. One thing I did was spend quality time with my Mum, and do things with her that we always enjoyed doing together. I also stopped looking at stats, as they’re always so negative; however everyone is individual and those stats don’t reflect your Dad. If I listened to stats I would’ve written my Mum off 5 years ago, however she’s still here, having revived the all clear. 

i have written my story on the forum if you want to read it, I hope it brings you hope. 

the best thing you can do for your dad is to carry on, do the things you love, be there for him and make him proud, it will make you feel better, and him happier. That’s what I did, and it make the journey a little more bearable.

hope this helps!!

max