Husband very withdrawn

• 5 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Is anyone else experiencing this?  My husband is undergoing chemotherapy and awaiting a scan to see what effect, if any, it has had on the tumour.  He has slowly become very withdrawn over the past few weeks.  He has never been the most communicative of people but this is quite a marked difference to normal.  I find it hard to get a reasonable conversation going.  I imagine he is mulling over the future and, being the person he is, not able to express himself.  It’s obviously impacting on our daily routine and, on a purely selfish note, makes my days seem very long.  I am glad to get out occasionally and then feel so guilty!

I don’t suppose there’s not much I can do to make him communicate more - just wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this.

Sending love and support to all you out there going through this nightmare 

• Hi  

I'm sorry to read that your husband has become uncommunicative since being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. I think that we all handle a cancer diagnosis differently. My way of dealing with it is to talk the hindlegs of a donkey about it because for me, talking about it makes it easier to deal with. However, that's not the way for everyone.

I can see that you've joined the carers only group and I hope you don't mind me suggesting that this would be a good place to talk to other carers about how they've coped with a partner or family member who doesn't want to talk.

You might also find this booklet from Macmillan about talking to someone who has cancer helpful. You can either view it online or order it in paper form and you and your husband might find it a useful tool to get talking about how you both feel.

It would be great if you could pop something about your husband's diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Sending virtual (((hugs)))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello EnglishRose

Yes, I experienced this sort of thing with my husband. I suspect as you do with your husband that he was internalising what was happening to him. I didn't find it easy but I just went with the flow of things. I just tried to go with what he wanted to do so if he hadn't much to say then I just sat with him. I think this may well be a common thing that happens. Unfortunately, with a diagnosos of pancreatic cancer live changed immeasurably.

Squeaky

• Hello latchbrook, many thanks for your reply.  I do hope you are able to continue with your very positive attitude.  Kind regards, English Rose

• Thank you Squeaky, I try my best to go along with his moods but it's hard, as you probably appreciate.  Kind regards, English Rose.

• Hi English Rose, 

My husband was also very quiet leading up to his scan and even worse after the scan. He is a police officer so used to keeping difficult things close to his chest. 
    My husband seems to find it easier to talk when we are cuddled up in bed watching TV. Maybe that’s his safe and calm place.
    It’s hard to know iwhether to try and have a conversation or not about it or ask what his thoughts are on the results coming up. 
    i personally would say “ what’s your thoughts” if he doesnit want to talk then leave it. 
    please don’t feel guilty about having some space, we all need it including our partners. We got the dreaded Palliative news last Tuesday and on Wednesday I went to work and didn’t want to come home, I’m not sure if that was denial or an escape. I delt with the news ok on Wednesday but come Thursday I had to speak to his work then just broke down in floods of hears for about an hour. We all handle things our own way I suppose. 

sending hugs 

Chrissie