Post Whipple recovery - Dietary advice

• 3 replies
  • 24 subscribers

I was discharged from hospital on Sunday and I'm just seeking practical advice on diet and exercise.

I'm trying to eat 6 x small meals daily & taking care not to overdo it. Eating slowly and leaving anything I don't fancy. I'm also leaving snacks lying around so I can snag them on the way past if I fancy them. I've got some protein powders arriving today & I'm just checking out some electrolyte drinks as well.

I'm experiencing a lot of diarrhea at the moment. A couple of days ago it got pretty bad so I had some Immodium which gave some temporary relief & has slowed things back down again. I try to get out a 3-4 times a day for a 2-300m walk.

I'm losing weight although I'm still inside a "healthy" BMI range at present.

I may be being impatient but if anyone has any suggestions on how best to maintain weight and whether I should be looking to increase/expand my exercise it would be much appreciated.

• Hello Gazzy64

Going by my husband's experience I think you are doing all the right things. Eating what you fancy, when you fancy it is fine. Try to add high calories such as cream. I take it you are using Creon.

Exercise looks fine too. Build it up as you regain strength.

Best wishes with your recovery.

Squeaky

• When my 74 yr old bro was released from hospital he complained of very loose stools. He had been orig inf to take two Creon tablets every meal but from readings on the PC sites he went onto taking up to 5 at meals and his toileting greatly improved. He ate often all small meals adding x  protein powders in almond milk. ( in the blender)  shakes etc. He soon felt more energetic. It did takes 3 months from his op to regain his confident strength. His flatulance was excessive and his scarring on his tummy was irritating. He just walked daily no heavy exercises and slowly built up his stamina bit at a time. 

• Thanks for the feedback. I've taken to using My Fitness Pal to log the food/protein I'm supposed to be taking on board. The diarrhea has become more intermittent now. Things are far from normal but they are improving & my weight seems to have stabilised.. I'm also focussed on getting as active as possible, I find it helps my digestion. Interesting how increasing the Creon may help. I'll give that a go a well. Thanks again!