Fluctuating temperature

• 6 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Hi all. Just wondering if my wife is unique re fluctuating temperature.    Sometimes her temperature will begin to rise. We all know about the risks of infection when on chemotherapy. For some time my wife's temperature will rise to over 39c. We are, aware we should contact the helpline but will continue to monitor the temperature. Quite often this will return to normal 36c following paracetamol and cold compress. Obviously if it continues to rise along with other symptoms of infection then its off to A&E. Does anyone out there have similar problems? 

• Yes, it happens due to infection, take her to A&E as infection after chemo with low neutrophil can be treated with antibiotics 

• Thanks. I am aware of this however after a couple of hours it all returns to normal without antibiotics... Its weird. 

• Fever becomes normal after taking paracetamol if this is the case or fever caused by Cancer.What type of cancer she has

• Pancreatic cancer 

• Hi, I just wanted to say this was my husband. It was fluctuating between 36.4-38.8. It turnt out he had an Infection and a clot.

I would get the temperature looked at or speak to your CNS. 

Hugs

chrissie 

• Hi Zorro. I’ve just finished 11 rounds of Folfirinox and with 9 rounds I got a temperature a week after infusion. Again up to 39.6. Every single  time I went to be checked out to be on the safe side and they couldn’t find any infections in my body or Hickman Line. Paracetamol also brought my temperature down to 36. Chemo Fever is apparently a ‘thing’ 

I would still say if her temperature reaches 38 or more to take her to the chemo team because as they said to me, there will be that one time you do get an infection and ignore it. 

Good luck x