Telling my parents

• 1 reply
  • 24 subscribers

Hi just over 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer, liver, lung and retroperitoneal lymph node mets. I also have a PE and currently a chest infection. I've gone from being a perfectly normal acriveish 51 year old to being unable to climb my stairs without needing a sit down. Whilst the second ERPC was successful in terms of getting a stent fitted and this plus Creon has really helped my symptoms, but I do not have a tissue diagnosis so do not yet have a definite plan (plan is lymph node biopsy next week and if proves to be adeno start folfinorox if by a miracle it's a NET then reconsider)

I have 3. Boys 24, 22 and 16 who I have told and they are being amazing.. their dad (we're divorced for donkeys) and stepmum are being great with suppot as are the schools / uni and work.

My parents are getting old and starting to become frail (especially mum) they live 6hrs away from me. The older boys and I are visiting this weekend to tell them. This feels like it will. be the hardest conversation yet because much as I love my parents I don't need anymore sympathy and I can't make this right for them and they can't make this right for me (they have been hugely supportive after my divorce in practical ways ie always before they have been able to make some things better)

I'm just dreading everything about this weekend. 

Thank you for reading

• Hi . I just dropped by, I've a different type of cancer, and noticed you've not had a reply to your post for which I'm sorry. This would be a hard post for most members to answer.

By now you will have told your parents, how did they take it? I can understand how hard it would be for you, you don't need any more sympathy and this is something they can't fix for you. My incurable diagnosis has happened some years after my parents have passed away. I've only my sister who has been a great support as has my hubby. No-one in my biological family has ever had cancer so it's a shock to us all.

I didn't notice see this post in the Incurables so why not post there, we, the members there understand what you're going through and can offer support.

Sending hugs, B xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett