Extreme fatigue

• 3 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Hi everyone

I hope that you are all well and keeping sane!

I must say, my mental health is in turmoil as we still have a week to wait until Dads latest scan results. 

You know my story - Dad diagnosed with PC in 2019, whipple and folfirinox. All ok until Spring last year, when he had a recurrence in the lymph nodes and lung. Just completed 18 sessions of Abraxane and Gemzar.

Just recently, although the fatigue has been there all the way through, it has become debilitating. He finished chemo 3 weeks ago so although I know it takes time to come out for your system, this has become worse not better. Still chemo related?

Also, a pressure sore on the very base of his back is causing real discomfort and although the worst of it has got better, the pain remains...

Anyone else had this??

Hows everyone else doing??

Sick of guessing at answers all the time...

• Hi

I'm sorry to read about all that you and your dad have been going through and that your dad is still suffering with side effects from his chemo. Although I don't have experience with these side effects to share with you I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet so responding to you will 'bump' your post back to the top of the discussion list where it'll be more easily seen.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for good results next week and, in the meantime, could you dad talk to his CNS and explain how unwell he's feeling. I would hope that they would be able to help him.

While you're waiting for replies it would be great if you could pop something about your dad's diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi, thanks for your response- unfortunately Dad refuses to communicate about his illness, whether with the family or the oncology team. You can imagine that this causes anxiety and tension. He was diagnosed in 2019, so this is long term and mentally draining.

So, we are left without answers. He however, finally has his appt today to get his results from the latest ct scan. 

I hope this will let us in on what is happening and a way forward. Though, often this just leads to more confusion and doesn't make a difference to Dad being so difficult!! The continued rollercoaster of emotions is difficult to deal with to say the least.

We don't ever seem to get a concrete answer about what to expect when he deteriorates, most info is geared around recurrence in the remaining part of the pancreas, or liver and doesn't mention recurrence in the lymph nodes.

As he forbids us to contact the team for more specific info, we feel in the dark.

I hope mum is able to accompany him today and manages to ask a couple of burning questions.

Though I'm afraid I doubt it....

xx

• This all sounds very difficult for you  particularly as your dad won't let you in on his treatment and prognosis. I guess it could be because he thinks he's protecting you.

You might find it helpful to join the family and friends group as you'll then be able to chat to others in a similar situation as yourself and they might have some tips on how to get your dad to open up. If this is something that you'd like to do clicking on the link will take you straight there where you can join, post and join in with existing conversations just like you do here.

Sending a ((hug))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"