Hi

• 4 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Just thought I'd introduce myself as I'm new here

Last week I was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer that's now in my liver so inoperable 

At the age of 51 it's come as a huge shock but still hasn't hit home it's kinda like I don't or won't accept it.

I have a meeting with the oncology dept to discuss chemo next week but a few friends keep telling me that I should just concentrate and go on an alkaline based diet etc and how bad chemo is can I get some advice please from fellow members who may have had the same  issue 

• Sorry. Phone being awkward!! 

I will start again...

Hi

I am 49 and going though chemo for stage 3 Ampullary cancer, which has the samw treatment as pancreatic cancer.

I just finished cycle 5 of 6 today, but Drs not happy with my bloods so I have to have a CT scan.

I found chemo bearable until cycle 3 when I developed muscle spasms and severe muscle pain.

My advice is to dig deep within yourself, live in the moment and be kind to yourself x

• HI, I have no personal experience of chemo but my husband did and I have been on these forums for a while. The effects of chemo vary widely and some people have few side effects and others more but there is no way you know what is going to happen until the treatment starts. Once you have seen the oncologist you will be able to weigh up what you think is best for you. Although it is good to listen to others only you can make the decision.

Squeaky

• Hi Colin

Sorry to hear your news. I was diagnosed with pc about 3 years ago and a whipple operation which  was followed by 6 months of folfirinox chemo which finished 2 years ago. Before coming to a decision as to whether to have chemo the consultant oncologist ran through about 20 possible side effects which she narrowed down to a likely hood of 4 ' certain ' outcomes. This was based on her long experience. She was absolutely right. I had diarrohea [ 3 weeks] , extreme fatigue [ lasted about 2 weeks] , infections towards the end of the course [ easily treated with antibiotics ] and loss of taste/appetite. Having said that the whole experience was draining but not painful. To my surprise as soon as the chemo finished I was back to 'normal' very quickly although it has taken time to rebuild my strength

Squeaky is right in saying that chemo can affect people in different ways and if you decide to go down that route give complete feedback to the oncology team about how chemo is affecting you , it will greatly assist them in deciding if any tweaks to the treatment are required.

I have never heard of an alkaline based diet but I would strongly recommend you follow the advice of the professionals particularly about diet. 

The chemo for me was totally successful and whilst their is always a possibility of the cancer returning the thought of further chemo holds no fear. 

It is difficult but do try and remain positive and put yourself in the hands of the oncology team