This isn't fair

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 23 subscribers

My 65yo mum has been diagnosed with advanced pancreatic cancer. She is due to see oncology early next week for a full prognosis but the CT has shown that it has spread to her liver and possibly her lungs.

My mum has an underlying health condition, which she's had for about 15 years, so is already not in full good health and receives monthly dialysis type treatment to keep it under control. She's in the vulnerable covid category. Despite this and regular doctors appointments, my mum took herself to hospital last Saturday in terrible pain after being let down on numerous occasions by her GP over the last 3-months and 2 misdiagnoses. By Tuesday she was diagnosed correctly. 

My mum is due to retire next year and finally receive her well deserved state pension, and has also just been made redundant with a good severance package (starting next month).

It just feels so unfair - Finally about to retire and have more quality time with kids and grandkids and it just feels like life has been snatched away.

I'm the youngest of my siblings and my mum is my best friend. She's the world to all of us, being brought up mostly in a single parent household. This news has just knocked us all for six, none of us know what to do or how to feel. Being logical, I am just waiting for the meeting with oncology next week to get more information. I need to know all the facts before I can even begin to accept what is happening. But, I have done my own research so already sort of know what will come of the meeting. 

This feels like a rant but I am adrift in my thoughts, caught between what I should be feeling and what I do feel. The sadness comes in waves, taking me off guard, but the rest of the time I feel like I'm in a state of hyper alertness, despite the snatched sleep, but also just get lost in doing nothing, completely unaware of anything, numb. Being 200 miles away from her doesn't help.

I'm not sure what I'm expecting from writing this. Maybe someone can relate?

• Hello Millybengs

I am sorry to read about your mum. Being so far away from her must be very difficult for both of you especially in these covid times although modern technology helps us to 'see' those loved ones with whom personal contact is impossible

Emotions obviously run high and it is difficult to know how to deal with such bad news. There is no right or wrong way to know how to feel everyone is different.

I was diagnosed with pc about 2 years ago and i well remember my first visit to the cancer clinic. The waiting area was packed and i realised for the first time that i was not alone. Cancer has no respect of either gender or age. When i received my diagnosis like most people i searched the internet for more information. What a depressing picture was painted and i vowed not to look at it again but get my information from the experts face to face who after all deal with cancer matters every day. 

The level of support i received was brilliant and it was stressed that if i had any concerns to contact the surgical team , the oncologists and my allocated cancer nurses whenever i felt the need. Nothing would be too much trouble and neither would any enquiry be treated as trivial. During my treatment i overheard so many patients who had problems being unwilling to contact the experts because they thought they were being a nuisance or they didn't consider there problem important enough. 

I am sorry that your mum's experience so far appears not to have been very satisfactory. I do hope her meeting with the oncologist will restore her faith.

It may sound obvious but it does help to talk. I am not sure if the Maggies centres are open during covid but it may be worth looking for your mum's local centre as they are excellent in offering support and guidance.

I was given a poor prognosis following surgery but the chemo which finished a year ago seems to have worked. There is always hope and do remember that you are never alone on this forum.

Best Wishes to you all

Kevin

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to kevatvinegarhill

Hi Kevin, 

Thank you for your reply and suggestions. I'll look into the Maggies centres.

We're all just taking each day and stage as it comes now but it's horrible with her in so much pain at the moment, but I will push for her to reach out for more support when she needs it rather than suffering in silence, as you have kindly advised.

The waiting around, not knowing is almost the worst part of all this. We're just biding our time until the next appointment.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It is a comforting reminder that everyone is different and there is hope.

Every best wish to you x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi,

Thank you for your post. I'm really sorry to hear about your mum. I don't really know if this will help or not but my mum was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer on 1st April this year. She was told over the phone. This was after multiple trips to the doctors for about 4 months before her final diagnosis. (She was previously told the pain was a pulled muscle or just indigestion.) We later found out the cancer has also spread to her liver. She is 58 years old.

I know it is different but I understand the feelings you have described. I also cannot believe the utter unfairness of it all. My mum is a very healthy person who always exercises and eats really healthily. She hasn't ever smoked and doesn't drink heavily. Her diagnosis just didn't make any sense and it still doesn't. She is a good person and has never done anything wrong and, a few years off of retirement, this happens. Along with the unfairness and sadness, I also feel incredibly angry a lot of the time.

My mum has undergone one round of chemo which worked initially but unfortunately then stopped working. She is now just starting a different form of chemo. We are hoping this will shrink the tumours enough so she can then have nanoknife treatment. It is a lot of waiting and not knowing which is incredibly difficult.

I guess I'm just writing to say I understand how you are feeling even though I know our situations are different. I think you are right to try and remain logical when you can and get all the facts together. I try to stay positive as much as possible even though this is very hard and I know I can't be positive all the time. I know this probably wont help much but just thought I would share too so you (hopefully) don't feel quite as alone.

Thanks.