Keep feeling so emotionally low

• 4 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi there one & All,

I was diagnosed with stage 4 PC in 2016, got on a clinical trial which shrunk my tumour enough for a Whipple which I had in 2017. In late 2018 a scan showed I had liver mets, so I started Folfirinox which I completed in July 2019, my tumours had shrunk. So I was so very lucky. My Recent scan in August shows on of the tumours has progressed & I also one in the small bowel mesentery. I was devastated but am starting Gemcitabine next week and I can only hope it works. My oncologist said I may get another year but of course until I start chemo and then have a scan who knows.

I always knew the prognosis for a Whipple etc was on average 5 years, during the last 4 years I have coped reasonably well and I have fought to stay as well as I could. But now I am struggling to keep it all together. I’m getting tearful, anxious and I am so annoyed with myself but I just can’t get my head around it right now.

I have started to put things in place so that my husband will have an easier time when I am not around as he doesn’t do computers, etc and I have always dealt with the paperwork etc and he has always done the practical work and has given me some lovely homes during our time together. I am so worried for him as we chose not to have children and my family do not live near us. 

I’m guessing I’m not alone in feeling like this, but I feel so annoyed with myself, I should be coping better. I’m not worried about having the chemo it’s just I’m so frightened if it doesn’t work.

Just wanted to share with people that understand what it’s like living with cancer and an uncertain  future.

take care and stay safe,

Jo

• Hi Jo

Good to hear from you.

I think you are very courageous in sharing your thoughts during this very difficult time for you and your  husband. We all have differing emotions in dealing with cancer but keeping busy dealing with paperwork for example and putting affairs in order helped me in as much that I knew a lot of pressure would be lifted from my other half's shoulders.

It is impossible to clear ones mind completely from cancer but although my whipples and chemo was almost a year ago and I am feeling very well I am fully aware that things may take a turn for the worse in the future. However I and my wife take each day as it comes and if we are faced with problems later on we decided a long time ago that we would deal with matters head on and put our faith in the wonderful medical team that have looked after us so well in the past.

I can fully understand your frustrations and concerns but please do not feel annoyed with yourself. We have been able to cope reasonably well by having things to look forward to whether it be a birthday , christmas or even a short break away , covid permitting. 

Living with cancer is not easy and I think it is difficult for non sufferers to appreciate how it does dominate your life despite our best efforts to put it to the back of our minds. 

This forum has helped me tremendously. At the very beginning I innocently thought it was just me who had a problem but talking to people on this forum it made me realise I was not alone and never will be alone. I firmly believe that 'talking; does help and I hope that sharing your thoughts will make this difficult time a bit easier

I hope the new chemo goes well and is successful

Kind Regards

Kevin

• Hi there Kevin,

Thank you so much for your email and words of support.

It does help so very much and is so very much appreciated.

Take care and best wishes to you and your wife.

Kind Regards,

Jo

Jem57
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Jo, I'm so sorry you're going through this, my mum is in a very similar boat - unfortunately not a candidate for whipple, but I can see that same anxiety and fear starting to reach her as you describe. You shouldn't berate yourself for not coping better (easier said than done) because you are coping exactly how you should be coping. If you follow Deborah James (Bowel Babe) she is very refreshing on how much her cancer scares her, some days she feels in control and strong, other days scared - but we build this image that cancer sufferers are almost like fearsome warriors who are always courageous. And yeah you are warriors but you are also complicated humans with complicated emotions and you can both be strong and scared. For your husband is he having any counselling? My dad has counselling through Macmillian and it's really helping him, I have psychotherapy and CBT to try and manage my fear. And for my mum she's found visualisation really helpful. Let yourself feel what you're feeling and let go of any ideas on what you should be feeling - all feelings are valid. 

• Hi there,

Thank you so much for your email, it has given me much comfort to know that I should not beat myself up about the whirlwind of emotions I am experiencing right now. I am so sorry that your Mum is not able to have a whipple and hope that there is a treatment out there that will help her. 

My husband has shied away from counselling and after 40 years together I know not to push it! We do talk about things and try to support one another as best we can. 

My first chemo is under my belt and its just a case of once again getting used to the side effects! 

Sending you all positive thoughts and stay safe,

Jo

Jem57