diabetes 6 months after surgery

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 24 subscribers

hi 

my husband had sepsis in early May last year   which left him with multiple liver abscesses   a renal vein blood clot and an enlarged pancreatic duct

he took 6 - 8 weeks to fully recover     then had months of tests to see if the source of infection could be found 

eventually he had an endoscopy that still didn't show anything    but they took random biopsies anyway      which did show up an early pancreatic cancer   

this was followed up by him having a distal pancreatectomy and spleen removal on 25 th Sept 2019      Unfortunately after a long op    he had an internal bleed immediately after hisnoperatiom

and had to rerun to theatre for a second time in the same day     He made a good recovery and was discharged home only a week later     

One of his drains were still in at discharge and  got infected      day 13 he ended up back into to hospital for a further weeks iv antibiotics

his main wound also had infection building up behind it     so needed to be opened up again  to allow the pus the ooze out 

he has eventually recovered   after weeks of his wound leaking  pancreatic juices -  which isn't that uncommon were told 

due to his wound infection he missed his  12 week post surgery appointment with oncologist to organise chemo   so didn't end up getting any     He has no spread to lymph nodes or elsewhere so it was thought to be safe 

last week it was time for his check up but due to coronavirus it was cancelled      instead had a consultation over the phone with consultant instead     having periods of fatigue and thirst    so he suggested blood checks getting done    which has shown he has diabetes      and needed to start insulin today      

are there any others who developed diabetes 6 months post op       

Do you think this mean his cancer is back as his pancreas isn't making insulin any more ? 

l

• Hello LMu

I am pleased that your husband recovered well after his surgery. I'm not able to give any medical advice as I don't know about medical things. However, my husband had Whipple surgery as the cancer was in the head of the pancreas. He had been type 2 diabetic prior to surgery possibly caused by the tumour. After surgery he was not diabetic but about five months later he became diabetic again and needed to inject insulin. So this is quite similar to your husband. 

We never really found out why he became diabetic again but with so much of the pancreas removed I understand many people do become diabetic.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Squeaky

• Hello LMu

I can't help with the medical questions but just to wish all the best to your husband and yourself

Kevin

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Squeaky

hi Squeaky 

yes this is very helpful    i'm glad that he's not the only one that has become diabetic months after his surgery  

i know he is looking well but will always worry that any changes mean that his cancer has come back Sweat

thanks   i hope your hubby stays well too xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to kevatvinegarhill

hi Kevin 

thanks for your well wishes     they really help  I'm so glad to hear that a year  down the line you are well    

Unfortunetely my hubby wasn't able to get chemo as his wound got lots of infections and was opened up and left to heal from inside out     i do worry as i would have preferred him to have got chemo     as it would have given us more chance of cure 

i hope you continue to stay well and get your holiday eventually xx 

linda