neuropathy

• 7 replies
  • 24 subscribers

I hope someone may be able to help

I finished chemo about 2 months ago and although the consultant cannot confirm whether the pc has been defeated she doesn't want to see me for a year

I did explain to her that I was experiencing numbness/pins and needles in my hands and feet exasperated by cold winter weather and that in her opinion it would gradually disappear.

does anyone know of 'special' gloves for example or medication that will alleviate the problem. my mobility is ok but getting buttons done up can take some time

thanks

Kevin 

• Hi Kevin

I'm sorry there doesn't seem to be anyone to reply. Have you tried phoning the nurses on Pancreatic Cancer UK?

Squeaky

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Kevin

my mum (stage 4 PC) is currently experiencing neuropathy.

have you tried acupuncture or VoxxLife socks?

both are meant to be very helpful with neuropathy, my mum has tried both but unfortunately cannot carry on as the disease is progressing and she is in too much pain to function, so i don’t know if either helped but they seemed to have positive feedback when I was researching

chloe

• Hi Chloe

thanks for the tips although the thought of acupuncture has me hiding behind the settee. I'll do some resear4ch into the socks

Kevin

• Hi Kevin

I have acupuncture for knee pain and the needles are not as bad as you might think. I just look away and very rarely feel them going in.

Squeaky

• Hi Squeaky

thanks for the encouragement re acupuncture.

I have a dilemma

when I last saw the consultant she said she didn't need to see me a year. however when I went to my GP , for whom I have the highest regard , at the end of December she recommended I have a CT scan as there was a chance that the cancer had spread to my lungs [ this was in my patient notes] although this aspect had never been mentioned at any of the oncology appointments. I have no reason to suspect anyone has withheld bad news

the scan is scheduled for the beginning of March and whilst in one way I need to know if further treatment is necessary these mixed messages have left me confused and deflated.

my first thought was to call my cancer nurse but that might be interpreted as going behind my G P's back so I shall call into the surgery tomorrow and ask her to ring me.

As you know I have always adopted a positive attitude but for the first time I am feeling very negative as the outcomes of the whipples plus the chemo have been pretty good

I shall keep you posted

Kevin

• Hi Kevin

I don’t think anyone deliberately holds back bad news in the medical profession but I do think that so many people are involved that information gets lost.

Speaking to your cancer nurse wouldn’t be going behind the GP’s back. The GP can only tell you what the notes say but the cancer nurse will have a greater understanding of your particular situation.

You have done so well so I can understand why you are deflated. Once you have had a chat with the cancer nurse I’m sure you will feel better.

Squeaky

• HI Squeaky

Thanks for the advice. I spoke to the cancer nurse this morning , she is a smashing person , and she explained that the CT scan was a routine follow up a year on from my whipples operation. between the surgical team , the oncologists and my gp there has been an unintentional blurring of communication , can't think of a better way of putting it.

You are right I feel a lot happier this morning

Thanks once again

Kevin