Relative with pancreatic cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Evening all, after a bit of advice. Father in law got diagnosed with late stage Pancreatic just before Christmas. He was type 2 diabetic and this has now developed into type 1 & 2.  Little to no solid food for over a month. Is in local hospital but has been told inoperablere, no chemo, no radio treatment as it a) will kill him, b) won’t work c) not strong enough. Any food basically bounces diabetic numbers through roof. 

Was playing golf 4 weeks ago. Has lost around 3 stone in about 2-3 months, can now only walk with zimmer for a few paces. 

Docs have now taken him off what was around 30 tablets a day to bare minimum of around 4. Discharging him tomorrow which wifey is seeing as a good sign and doesn’t really seem to grasp what I think are the implications of this. 

Time frame wise does anyone have any experience of what we’re looking at. She’s got it in her head it’s months and months, but with no medication, treatment, further tests etc I can’t logically see that. 

I’m a very practical thinker and not easily offended or upset, I’m just trying to find a way to manage what’s coming for the wife and the kids. 

it’s not our first rodeo, her mother died when she was 18 of ovarian. My mother had breast cancer, my father had it, got diagnosed on a Tuesday, died Thursday. But this one has come on so fast and although there is a lot of information on End Of Life, it’s a bit sketchy as to if with no treatment we are looking at days, weeks, months etc 

End of waffle, any advice welcome. 

• Good morning Bonjour

I am sorry you find yourself in this situation and have had so many other family members with cancer.

I have no medical expertise but I have been around these forums for a while. Pancreatic cancer can be very aggressive but it is difficult to predict how long your father in law has. Any suggestion the doctors might have is usually based on averages.

So, probably the best thing is to take each day as it comes. A couple of things. Is he taking enzymes to help him digest food? Also is he using insulin? The medics should be able to give advice so that the diabetes is kept in check.

The most important person in all this is your father in law so follow his lead in what he wants to do. Also speak with him and his GP and get a care plan in place.

it is also worth contacting the phone line of Pancreatic Cancer UK. They give excellent advice.

Squeaky

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello

I'm so sorry to hear your news. My mum was diagnosed with metastatic pancreatic cancer in June 2019. She had lost 3 stone in weight very quickly. Likewise mum was also type 2 diabetic and following diagnosis her blood sugars spiked to the high 20’s when she had eaten. she started taking insulin while admitted to hospital  

Palliative chemo was planned but  unfortunately mum was just never well enough and would never have coped with it. In August, mum was admitted to hospital for 8 weeks then  discharged home for 2, readmitted for 2, discharged for 1, readmitted and so on. Her pain was never controlled for long and frequent re admissions to hospital would get her settled again only to be readmitted once she’d been home for a few days and her pain and symptoms increased again  

Mum was readmitted at the beginning of December and rapidly became poorlier and poorlier. She was unable to walk unaided which she had been able to do up until then and then became confined to her bed. She had been on numerous medications, however in the last couple of weeks this was reduced to just her driver. 

Sadly mum passed away peacefully last Friday in hospital, before we were able to get to her. Pancreatic cancer is apparently one of the worst cancers to have because of the stronghold it gets because it flies under the radar, late detection being the reason for this as notoriously symptoms rarely present in the early stages. 

While no 2 people are the same, mum’s consultant told us 3-4 months without any treatment. Mum hung on for 6, giving it her all.

The care mum received during her illness was second to none, everybody involved in her care was absolutely amazing and we could not have asked for more. When it was apparent mum was deteriorating more so, they took us aside and advised us accordingly. That was Wednesday as mum passed Friday. 

I hope my reply helps to give some insight although won’t provide any definitive answers for you. 

Very best wishes. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi,

You sound like me, I needed to know everything that was happening / going to happen when my Dad was ill with PC. He passed at the end of last year.

For a long time I was trying to second guess how long my Dad had left (he didn’t want to know) but the nurses at PCUK told me that even with a diagnostic time frame, this was a best guess and some people exceed it, while of course others don’t get that far unfortunately.

what I would say is make sure you have the right support if he is coming home and Macmillan have been involved early on. Dad wouldn’t have this, couldn’t face it, but it made life very difficult for us towards the end as we had consultants asking us if a DNR was in place, whether hospice care had been considered and where did he want to be?  It was ok in the end but it may not have been and there were an anxious couple of weeks at a time when we didn’t need the additional stress.     Honestly, the rest will take care of itself.

i wish you peace.

mm