Some advice would be very much appreciated.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hello, 

I didn’t really know who to speak to so I was glad when I came across this group. It looks like everyone is going through a hard time on here, it gives me comfort to know we’re not alone, but I’m also sad you all are going through it too. 

my gran has just turned 70, she is very healthy & active and really 21 at heart. She has never had any health problems.  We found out yesterday that she has Pancreatic Cancer and it may also have spread to her liver. There is no option to remove the tumour so we need to go down the chemotherapy road. 

A few years back I witnessed my mother’s partner have chemotherapy and radiotherapy as he had a brain tumour and it was the honestly just heart breaking. The hardest thing to see. I know their cancer is different but I would just hate to see my gran go that way.

My family and gran all have a positive head on and are ready to fight on with chemotherapy. But I can’t help but wonder if it’s worth her to go through all of that? We haven’t been told how long she has left. 

I’d love to hear your thoughts  

thank you  

• Hello Cruikash

I am so sorry to hear of your Gran’s diagnosis.

Firstly, it’s unlikely that you will get a prognosis of time from the medics as the way in which cancer develops is very different so all they can do is give an ‘average’ figure.

If you read another of the recent posts you will see my view on chemotherapy for PC. But other people have other views.

However, the most important person is your Gran and she must decide what she wants to do. And whilst family members may want to encourage her one way or the other the best thing you can all do is to let her know that you will support her in her decision.

chemo for PC can be harsh for some people and less so for others but you don’t know until you have it.

its great to see you supporting your Gran so well.

Squeaky

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Cruikash

My Dad had PC diagnosed age 81 and was initially very poorly, but he rallied and had 12 cycles of a Gemcitabine which he tolerated very well. I think most people do. He had some issues with constipation but knew what was needed to counter this and fell into a settled pattern. During these months he was able to see to his beloved garden and care for his bees, he & my Mum even went sequence dancing up to 3 times a week and they managed a long weekend away.

The scan then showed some disease progression & his chemo was changed to Folfox, I have been told this may have been because he was so fit. However, he suffered some mini strokes after the second treatment, lost his driving license and independence and never got any more chemo. We are convinced that if he had remained on gemcitabine he would have had longer. Of course, we can’t know this, no-one can, but he deteriorated very quickly as it was weeks between oncology appointments & by the time he could restart chemo he was no longer well enough.

My point is that his chemo was palliative, it was buying him time & we all knew that. In our opinion he didn’t need the more aggressive Folfox and could have stayed on Gemcitabine while maintaining some quality of life for a while longer. If quality of life is more important to your Gran, then discuss the different treatments with her oncologist and the reasons behind his/her recommendations.

Sending lots of hugs

mm