Whipple recovery

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 23 subscribers

I hope this helps people recovering from Whipple Procedure. We are all different of course in how we react long term. I had the operation over 2 years ago at the age of 67. For many I suspect it is life changing but I remind myself I am still alive and to be grateful for that.

Changing diet is crucial I feel. I experienced extreme bloating for 2 years until a Dr suggested I tried the Fodmap diet. I eliminated dairy especially milk and foods such as onions and garlic (that was hard!) because they ferment in your gut leading to gas and bloating. It has been very helpful though and exchanging onions for the green parts of spring onions and garlic chives meant I still get the flavour. It is a matter of trial and error. Oat milk was a great substitute also. Eating little and often rather than big meals is kinder to the insides and chewing food thoroughly also helps the digestion.

I take Creon - 35,000 before each meal but if I fancy a dessert I may take another 10,000 before I do. Life is too short for complete denial of treats!

Have nerve damage and it is a trial and nothing to be done except when it gets too much take a couple of painkillers at night. Helps me sleep without being woken by the pain.

Also take a pre/probiotic twice a day and CBD oil to take the edge off anxiety and the latter seems to help take the edge off the nerve pain also.

Can still experience dumping for no apparent reason so increase the Creon by 10,000 at the evening meal which seems to help. It is a daily challenge though and all one can do is listen to the body and what it is telling you. I do still work 4 mornings a week and walk every day to increase the stamina. Acceptance that Whipple is a life changing operation is difficult but for me crucial to come to terms with living a somewhat limited life now but at least I am living a life!

Wishing all Whipple patients and their families as positive an outcome as possible and heart felt sympathy for those who have lost loved ones.

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

Thank you very much for taking the time to tell others about your experiences. I'm sure that new people to the group will find it very useful.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks very much for sharing your story - my father is still in hospital 12 weeks post whipple surgery. Not the usual journey for a standard whipple procedure but we will get there! My heart goes out to anyone going through this - stay strong.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I am so sorry to hear your Father is still in hospital. This operation is such a life challenge not only for the patient but also for families. It is a life changing operation in that there are daily challenges and I was taken aback as to the recovery time where I felt I was getting some strength and stamina back. I read now and again about timeframes for recovery. None of them turned out to be realistic! I suspect because each person is different.

On the one hand this surgery can be life saving and prolong life of course and one feels gratitude for that. On the other it so extreme it would be natural from time to time to even wonder whether it was worth it. I know it was the thought of showing my children and grandchildren that no matter how hard it is there is only one option - keep going, take one day at a time and so on. It is emotionally challenging as well and I really feel suggesting people 'stay strong' is possibly not the right advice! Patience, comfort, feeling loved and valued gives one strength to keep going.

Please wish your Father all the best from me and I so hope this part of the process of being in hospital ends soon so he can go home and focus on his recovery.

All the best.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I too am a big believer in diet; coupled with some innnovative drug therapies I finally have some hope!