Chemo side effects

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 10 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Hello,

any tips for dealing with shivers/chills following chemotherapy treatment please?

supporting my Dad (81) who is having gemcitabine weekly.

thankyou

mm

• Hello . Sorry to hear your Dad is in some discomfort following his chemo treatment. I see you have already had some good advice from my friend in your other post. I am not from this group, but have had gemcitabine for my own cancer. Thankfully my effects were not too bad. We know that your Dad's symptoms are a known side effect, but going by the date of your first post, it seems the effects are lingering. Your Dad should have a hospital contact number and it is always best to give them a ring for advice. Just as a precaution, does your Dad show any signs of a temperature? If so, it could be a sign of an infection. If he has, then it is wise to call NHS 111 for advice. In the meantime, it is important to make sure your Dad is taking plenty of fluids to keep hydrated. Sorry if I have increased your worry, not my intent, but just trying to cover all bases. I always like to err on the side of caution. I hope all goes well. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to rily

Hi,

Its all become a bit academic as of today, his scan results show disease progression in the liver so he is switching to Folfox & a PICC line.

we are trying to get our heads around a different regime and likely more aggressive side effects.

I am hoping my parents will take a break away before Dad gets the PICC line in and starts treatment in about a months time. I think his situation is starting to look very real to them now.  

He has been so brave, and it breaks my heart to see the Dad who I shared so much with as a child/teen go through this.

mm

• Hi there,

So sorry your Dad is having a tough time and you and the family too. There is a very good fact sheet about  Folfirinox on the website, which I am guessing your Dad should have been given by his key worker nurse.

We all react differently to our chemo, I had 12 sessions of folfirinox and although it was tough at times it was far better than the clinical trial I was on for my PC. It has shrunk my tumours on my liver.

The nurses at the hospital gave me an Injection to help with the nausea, so always worth asking about it if Dad feels rough. I can’t remember what is was called and it was administered in addition to the anti sickness tablet when the second bag went up. It really helped me cope.

My heart goes out to you as I know how I felt when my parents had health issues that changed their lives, try to stay strong and there are so many people in this group that are always there for you when you need to share how you feel.

Take care,

Jo

Jem57
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to jem57

Hi Jo,

We don’t have a key nurse. Have seen 4 different oncologists since diagnosis nearly 6 months ago.

He has been told it is incurable and inoperable and it’s chemo or nothing.

My Dad & I are quite similar in that we are very pragmatic. He is very philosophical about it all. Not so my Mum who is not coping at all.

This is making life very difficult as she is used to being in control and obviously can’t be in control of this. Fear is at the heart of it, but she bit my head off earlier today for nothing.  Dad came to my rescue but he shouldn’t have to.

I may have to speak up and tell her how much it upsets me when she behaves this way. I do think she would benefit from some anti anxiety meds, but persuading her to see her GP will be a challenge.

I am a grown woman with my own family and a husband who has his own issues, but still she treats me like a child.

sad day.

mm

• Hi there mm,

I too have been told my Cancer is incurable and the treatment is to give me time. A tough call to deal with for all involved.

Tensions and emotions run high and I am so sorry your Mum is struggling right now. My husband is very stubborn and over the last 3 years he has never sort out any help to express how he feels with about our situation. If your Mum will not see her GP then even a call to the Macmillan team may help. It’s always worth a try. 

We don’t have children and I sort of open up to my close family but I sort of make light of things as I don’t won’t to upset them but I do have low days which only my husband sees. If you can all share your fears and concerns it takes a little bit of pressure off.

I hope you soon have a key worker nurse, some hospitals also have a in-house Macmillan team, so I hope you can get the support you all need. It sounds like you are doing so well.

Sending best wishes to you all,

Jo

Jem57
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to jem57

Thankyou Jo, you are an inspiration!

I have very supportive friends and a sister who listen to me rattle on when I need to, my husband too although I know he finds it hard to see me upset.

It has brought me & my sister closer than ever before so if anything good comes out of all of this, it will be that.

I try to take each day as it comes and I can be strong for my parents (so far anyway),

Thankyou for your thoughts & I hope your treatment gives you as much time as possible.

Virtual hugs on their way to you!

mm

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi  

My Dad (65) was also recently diagnosed and the cancer growth was too awkward to operate on. He had a small op to insert a port and that same week he had his first session of chemo (6th September). 

I noticed that evening a big difference in dad's behaviour and also, strangely his usual pancreatic pain had disappeared. He had a low body temperature (which the nurse advised to look out for), was very pale, drowsy and difficult to wake and very confused not making sense. Saturday 7th I woke to find him still the very same, so took him into A&E. 

After hours and hours we were told dad had Sepsis. 

A very long story short, dad is still in hospital with my mother and I by his side everyday since the 7th. Every doctor that comes in daily will tell us something different. His Oncologist was in shock, and said my dad wasn't the same man he met a few weeks back and was confused as to what and how he is now. We're all trying our very best to stay positive, however he's unable to eat or drink anything as they now have discovered ulcers and has lost a further 6KG whilst being in hospital. 

The palliative team at the hospital are outstanding and open to telling us more than the doctors do. I guess I'm just reaching out to you in comfort as it's broken me inside to see my dad going through this. 

Z

• Hi Z

Sorry to hear about your dad.

I've been having treatment since April , first a whipples then chemo which finishes in November. That apart all the surgeons and my oncologist have always been open and honest with me , I  would have expected nothing less, and it seems to me that your father's doctors should be doing the same. obviously things are difficult enough but the medical team ought to be showing more empathy e g how would they feel if a member of their family was in distress and not getting answers

Thinking of you at this uncertain  time

Best wishes

Kevin

• Hi Z

I am sorry to hear of your father’s diagnosis.

I have been around this forum for a few years now as my husband had pancreatic cancer. I’m in no way medically qualified but what I learned is that PC can be very variable in different people.

My husband had the Whipple procedure which went well and the medics were able to explain things clearly. However, the cancer came back and there were times when the medics didn’t really seem to explain things. I found the best thing to do was to make a note of what we were unsure about so we could ask. We didn’t have much experience of hospital life and I think it varies from place to place.

i hope you get better explanations.

Squeaky

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Z

oh my word, we have just found ourselves in a similar situation.  Dad was rushed to hospital last night with a temp which ranged from 35.6 to 39.9 in the end.  Treating him for sepsis and running blood tests and cultures.

He had a flu jab earlier this week so we’re wondering if that has triggered something.

Was due to have a PICC line inserted next week but I am certain that will have to wait.

Part of me would like it all to stop, but of course that entails losing my lovely Dad, and I know it’s because I can’t bear to see him suffer.

I felt an inevitability about the infection as he’s been so well and living a full  life so I’ve been waiting for it to happen and was prepared. But I am now wondering if it’s a bit more serious than I first thought and if it might leave him weaker and compromised & i’m scared.

i know i’m Doing the best I can under the circumstances and I know i’m Extremely lucky to have the time and resources to enable me to support my parents.

My heart goes out to those of you who have work commitments and/or young children, I cannot imagine how difficult that must be on top of something like this.

Take care everyone & be kind to yourself.

mm