Pancreatic cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 9 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Hi I have just been diagnosed with in-operable pancreatic cancer, actually on the day my daughter finished her 7 month treatment for breast cancer. I just want to know how you all stay strong and focused because this is what I want to do. I’m 64 and have always watched my weight and exercised a lot .. part of me now wishes I just had sat around and eaten cakes and drank wine!! 

• Hello Kerryw63

I'm sorry to hear your news. Most of us on here just now are relatives of people who have PC rather than having the disease ourselves. However, I think what we would say is to take one day at a time. PC doesn't seem to be a respecter of those who maintain healthy lifestyles. It all seems a bit indiscriminate.

There is good support here and we chat a lot so don't hesitate to check in often and let us know how you get on.

Squeaky

• Hi kerryw63

sorry to hear your news. I am undergoing a course of chemo for PC , obviously don't know what the outcome will be. as far as I am concerned matters are very much out of my hands so while at present I am feeling pretty good who knows what is round the corner.

ultimately its Que sera  sera and the old cliché taking each day at the time is important as is talking to people.

I am positive because of the friends and family around me and the excellent clinical team at the hospital who are giving me and others  the best possible care and advice.

Best wishes and good luck

Kevin

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to kevatvinegarhill

Hi Kevin 

Thank you for your reply.

I also have great family support. My son is flying back from Australia for a few weeks and apparently they are doing some trials over there with some good results . Whether anything is being done over here I don’t know. My other son is reading everything about nutrition and I’m drinking peppermint tea which helps and then green tea which is YUK! 

Best wishes to you to 

Karen 

• Hi Kerryw63

My wife  has terminal pancreatic cancer and I fear may not see the summer out, but she doesn't know what I feel.  I don't know if you have a partner or not so our experiences may not fit into your situation.  If so I apologise now. It's strange but we both seem in a way in denial of the logical end. Every day is about doing what we feel comfortable with. If Anne wants to be quiet. That's fine. If she doesn't want to eat. That's fine to. She plods along in her own way and when she has difficulty I help her out. Anne never talks about dying but occasionally when she's in a cheeky frame of mind she'll say, with a smile on her face,  something like "Well I won't be around to worry about Brexit will I? I know she wants me to laugh so I do and that makes her laugh to. It seems to be about living in your own little bubble of existence. Creating your own world out of every day events. I'm trying to put into words that is something probably beyond words. I know you will find your own way. Nature can be cruel but also somewhat kind when - under these type of circumstances, - we enter into our own tiny world and live through our positive imagination, feelings and inner intuition. 

Geoff

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Geoff999

Thank you Geoff your wife sounds amazing and so do you. I’m sending big hugs to you.

• Thanks Kerry x

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.

• Hi Karen

I have a friend who worked for many years in the NHS ,now retired ,but does some work for private companies looking at all sorts of new treatments for cancers.Shetells me great progress is being made but we all know how long new treatments need to be tested and assessed before coming into  general use.

the nutrition dilemma has been quite difficult as my palate has changed completely , I now have a sweet tooth for the first time in 50 years. anyway I experimented and I am sure that you will find things that suit. never did like peppermint tea.

you'll enjoy seeing your son which will give you a welcome boost

Best wishes

Kevin

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to kevatvinegarhill

Hi Kevin 

I hope the chemo is not giving you too many problems. I have looked after my daughter while she has been having this. The radiotherapy she received was easier to deal with. Today is her first day back at work after 7 months and is quite nervous. 

I had the biopsy done on Friday and now waiting to see Consultant so I hope I get offered chemo. Have this dread that I turn up and they say no we can’t treat you go home!! I havnt said this to my family.

I understand eating and exercising is really important. As for a sweet tooth have had that forever. Keeping some sort of exercise going is not as easy. Used to cycle swim and walk but it’s just a walk now. 

Anyway I’m twittering on. 

Take care. 

Karen 

By the way I hated peppermint tea but persevered and have found it great after eating, really is good for tummy, especially if you dunk a ginger biscuit in it ( I know disgusting habit .. but a newly required one)

• Hi Karen

so far my chemo is proving uneventful. I hope your daughter gets on o k at work and that her employers are understanding. I can see why you're worried about the chemo decision but do share with your family your doubts and concerns , it really helped me to be open and frank and believe me when I say ,to me and I guess for men in general ,that openness is not easy.

because of all the wonderful people that are treating me I feel reasonably relaxed and it has given us Sharon my partner and I , confidence to face up to all that comes our way

I have a PICC line inserted for the duration of chemo so exercise has to be limited to walking the dogs , mowing the lawn and walking round the garden. by the way I know nothing about plants I just do what I'm told by Sharon who is an expert

You nearly persuaded me about peppermint tea but the thought of dunking with a ginger biscuit does not sound too appetising

this forum has proved invaluable in sharing experiences and whilst our actual illnesses may be different we all have one thing in common I e we all need help and support and in my opinion from as many people as possible

hope the answer from the consultant is favourable.

Keep in touch

Kevin