Strange Thoughts

• 8 replies
  • 26 subscribers

My lovely wife is losing weight fast ( nearly 3lbs a week.) and is running out of energy. She's struggling with her Creon which all to often leaves her bloated and in pain through wind. More recently she's developed an on and off pain in the extreme lower abdomen.  For those who have read my previous posts under other titles Anne refused all treatment 15months ago. As a result she was   given 6 to 12 month of life. The local hospice nurse is to contact her next week. When we were first given the prognosis Anne was strong in mind, and still is.She said "Well  at least I've had my death sentence."  She's still as strong in mind today. ( perhaps an old soul?) I was the one that cried. As a man and ex Met Police Officer of 30yrs  I'm not ashamed to say this despite having dealt with tragedies of many kinds.

NOW I'LL GET TO THE POINT.  During the last 6months  I've often  found myself doing things around the house, some cooking and washing and in the frame of mind of a single man.Content with my progress. Yet at another time in the day  Im feeling destraught at the thought of losing my beloved. I'm like two people these days and I never know from day to day which one is in charge. It's when I first wake in morning that ' who I am '  let's me know. Strange thoughts. I can speak quite pragmatically to neighbours, family, and friends about Anne's condition yet be on my own and feel hopless My mind totally  numb. Yet on another occasion I'm seeing myself fishing more in the future and drinking with my friends. Like all old people, ( Im 73yrs.) I get to thinking about the past a lot and sometimes kind of relive it. Strange thoughts. At the moment I have what I call ' My policemans head on.' But later when I see my Anne struggling to eat I'll feel useless and distraught  again. Strange thoughts. 

• Hello Geoff

i think I know where you are coming from. Your world is changing. It is unbelievably difficult to watch someone getting less and less well. No cancer is nice but this is a vile one. I can only say I understand .

Squeaky

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Squeaky

Hi Geoff 

as usual wise words from Squeaky.  Don’t be hard on your self, you are being a fantastic support to Anne right now. Take care of yourself too x

• Geoff 999, if I had found the words I would have written this myself. It is a mirror of my situation and feelings. Anne's pains are exactly those of my partner, plus backache. I have seen him a couple of times kneeling on the bedroom floor and leaning against the bed, exactly as women in labour  do during contractions.

Perhaps when the present is hard to bear we disassociate, acknowledge whatis likely the future and look for some positives. Perhaps this is survival mechanism kicking in.. We don't do much so I spend hours on the I pad blocking out our situation. The words to bring us closer just won't come, I don't know what they are, and any I think of stick in my throat. I don't want him to think I have given up on him or that I think of the worst.  Neither of us want to talk about defeat. Because he has no energy and the pain we a re not living life, he has said he will go back to walk in clinic with gp tomorrow so that is perhaps a start, lets hope he tells them how it really is. 

Love is eternal
  • Hi Needing Friends

I've just read your reply to Geoff and I think that what you are doing with your partners is being so loyal and caring to the highest degree. I hope that when my time comes that my wife can be strong enough to do the same.

If I were in your partners' places I would be so touched that you are so caring. You're both wonderful! I know it must be so tough, watching your loved ones wasting away. You're both incredible, I have to say it again.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Thank you TV an, but that is praise too much. I wish I was better at the comfort thing and had the right words instead of playing with the I pad.. I don't know what he needs, and he won't tell me saying there is nothing I can do. I feel that there is probably always something that I can do, whether it be a hug, the right words a phonecall to a friend, a doctor., but I don't know when or if its required, appreciated, or if that would be overbearing and taking away the decisions that righlly his 

Love is eternal
  • Hi  Needing friendsBlush

It seems we really are treading the same path at this moment in time. However keep strong as best you can for your hubby. His medical prognosis is different to Anne's so for you both there may well be light at the end of the tunnel.  I too bury myself on the internet a lot but using my tablet. I trawl through many subjects  regarding  pancreatic cancer including YouTube videos, viewing stuff from sufferers that's covering literally everything. As you wisely say the survival instinct is kicking in and certainly for me I'm kind of going through a rehearsal of Anne's passing ; not wanting to be suddenly confronted with an event I havnt seen or know about so I won't be pole axed with shock. Today Anne insists on cooking the Sunday roast. I was relegated to peeling the potatoes only. She's so stubborn and strong willed. I can hear her in the kitchen dealing with her trapped wind and pain but she won't allow me to get involved further. We have a holiday caravan 30 miles away which we paid ground rent  for this year but sadly Anne says now she will no longer be able to visit. She calls it her Shangrila .So Im in the process of clearing that out with the help of some good neighbours in my absence. Anne and I know whats ahead but we dont talk about as Anne's philosophy is to take every day one at a time. It reminds me of a Saying a young American child  said to his Mum leading up to his passing from cancer. INCH BY INCH LIFE'S A CINCH. YARD BY YARD LIKE IS HARD. 

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.

• Thanks geoff999, Anne sounds like a remarkable lady, hope your Sunday roast is lovely and I absolutely love the saying you ended with. What wise words wishing you a special day. 

Love is eternal
  • Hi geoff999 Anne sounds like a remarkable lady, I love your Sunday roast is lovely. Love the saying you ended with. Wishing you a special day. 

Love is eternal