Attendance allowance

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Can anyone tell me if they have been able to claim attendance allce on diagnosis of PC?

I know what to do & I know that a terminal diagnosis will speed up the application.  We have been told its inoperable, the word terminal has not been used, at least not yet anyway.

I am wondering if it's worth applying as it would help a great deal with travel costs.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks

mm

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

The normal route for application criteria is the amount of assistance your dad needs on a day to day basis and is not the actual diagnosis 

Does he need help with his washing and dressing.

Cooking meals for himself

Does he need care only during the day or does he need 24 hour care where someone has to be awake during the night.

Under the special circumstances rule being diagnosed as being terminal gives automatic acceptance for a fixed term of 3 years.

Even although you know what to do (I take you mean the actual form filling) I would suggest you enlist the help of an organisation who are used to completing the forms as they may be able to guide you/your dad on something you could inadvertently miss and ultimately lose the allowance.

You can ask Macmillans, AgeUK or Citizens Advice for help, these are the 3 I know of but I am sure there maybe others and have been trained in the completion of the forms.

It's not means tested and can be used for any purpose your dad needs to do with it.

If you are successful and your dad has to go into hospital he would have to notify the attendance allowance office and the benefit will be stopped but will be restarted when he is discharged without reapplying.

I would suggest that an application is made and if possible with the help of one of the organisations above and have as much information regarding your dad's medical condition and his mobility to hand when the forms are being completed, everything helps with the assessment.

Good luck

Ian

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

hi I don't know if attendance allowance is the same has pip but I got pip under special rules .I didn't have to fill in a form it was all done over the phone then they phoned McMillan nurse . the money was in the bank in a week back dated too.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi meg mac

my mums Macmillan nurse sorted it for her and also got a blue badge which is essential. The attendance allowance was back dated to diagnosis. Good luck x

• Hi just applied for pip but so confused seems you have to jump through hoops to get any help we both work any advice Butterflythank you 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to deebo

Hi, try the Citizens advice website.  There is lots of information about applying for benefits including help completing your PIP application, also what to do if you are turned down - it’s worth appealing but it is time sensitive.

they also have benefit calculators so you can see if you are likely to qualify for any other financial help.

my local CA has a Macmillan benefits advisor, it’s worth asking if yours does too?

Good Luck!