Late night ramblings

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 784 replies
  • 24 subscribers

dear Kate and all,

I promised admin that I’d clean my act up and keep my interminable waffle in a separate thread....so others don’t have to read it. This was in another group.

Anyway, lovely day everyone. Chemo is being pretty rough on me below the waist. Haemorrhoids. Walking funny! 

If anyone has any tips for this problem, please let me know. 

Pepys xx

• Hi squeaky 

Splodge is one of my cats. When I joined here last year I was still in shock about my mums diagnosis and didn’t really understand how these forums worked and every name I tried to use I couldn’t have it. I’ve often wondered about how people choose their names, could be an interesting thread. Xx

Kate 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Splodge321

Morning! 

I love choosing names. I always have some sort of obsession going on...at the time I joined the site, it was the diarist Samuel Pepys. I believed his long-suffering wife was Lady Pepys. Not so...but with his womanising ways, she deserved a medal the size of a dustbin lid.

Squeaky, enjoy your hairdressing trip. Waste that money! My hair’s been shorn now. Looks good! 

Pepys xx

• Well my mum has just totally shocked me, she just turned up at mine for a G&T and to show me her shopping. She’s just been out and bought a whole new summer wardrobe! I can’t believe it after all I was saying yesterday. She’s always been generous with other people but never spends on herself. I’m delighted. Mind she really needed it. Her clothes have been hanging off her, everything she’s bought is a size 8 and she’s been walking around in 14s. She says she wouldn’t recommend the cancer diet but it’s the most successful diet she’s ever done. Also the fact she had a gin, that’s always a good indication of how well she is feeling. I think this weather really improves everyone’s mood x

Kate 

• FormerMember

Dear Kate,

Amazed and delighted! Yes, the weather may well be partly responsible...perhaps  also the steroids? 

You can’t beat a bit of shopping, can you?

I thought I’d have a picnic in my garden tomorrow and just bought a gigantic load of food. Hardly had I got home when eldest son arrived and nicked the car to go to London. My timing is impeccable. I wanted to go to garden centre for plants but no, he says he’ll do it with me on Sunday. If he’s not too hungover, presumably.,,

Honestly, great about your mum. 

Pepys xx

• Evening

Hair now back to its ‘natural’ colour. Ha ha! A few book chapters read. Some history, some fiction. G and T at the ready!

I hope your picnic goes well, Pepys. Laughed about your son borrowing the car!

I presume Splodge the cat has a number of colours. My most recent cat is Thomas who is ginger and white. A rescue cat, he was a frightened boy when he came but is now in charge! Florence is a tabby and the third one is Mimi who is a pedigree shorthair.

Great about your Mum, Splodge.

Enjoy your evenings.

Squeaky

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Squeaky

Ah ladies, what a wonderful thread. It’s nice to read about all the joys of life and making the best of it. I had to leave the forum mostly because of all the doom and gloom which wasn’t what my head needed so this dip back in is lovely.

Pepys, I love reading about your antics - how churlish that others didn’t. I realise that a lot are dealing with with horrible stuff but a little lightening of the mood would be welcome, you’d think. Glad you still feel we are welcoming here.

I’m very well (mostly) at the moment - just passed my first year cancer free which has been exciting. I’ve been asked to be a patient rep for pancreatic cancer in the Berkshire/Oxfordshire area which sounds interesting although it turns out to be chaired by my horrible consultant who thought I was a secret alcoholic and missed disagnosing my cancer. I shall enjoy sitting there eyeballing him in a “I’m still here despite you, matey” sort of way. My nice oncologist is also on the panel so that balances out.

I’m suffering bad joint pains, which is not uncommon after chemo apparently, and anaemia so am on vitamin D and iron tablets. But otherwise I’m well. Even my periods have resurfaced (boo! Thought I’d seen the last of them). I’m back at work as well although on reduced hours as it’s pretty tiring. I just take each day as it comes - you never know how many you’ll get so buy that dress, have that gin. Me and the hubby have booked two holidays over the next couple of months and are thinking about a third.

No cats here just two mad budgies. And the wolves at the wolf centre where I volunteer. I helped handraise three of them but not really pets!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Dear Kiwiwolf,

I was thinking about you today and here you are! A year cancer free is to be celebrated. Periods back? Oops! You can’t have it ALL your own way! 

It’s good to have one or two threads where conversation can be less formal. It’s not all doom and gloom. The incurables group suddenly hit quite awkward times though I hope it’s settled  now because I really value the support I get and what I’m able to give. It’s extrsordinsry what problems can erupt in groups like these..,partly, I suppose, because we are just humans and get the wrong idea. I thought about leaving but then reflected a little on how much I value my friendships in the groups I visit. 

I’ve had no painkillers today so just on the verge of discomfort which might...or might not...go away. Might have a gin! I won’t lie, the chemo is kicking my arse but it also can’t quite stop me enjoying myself. I feel like Sisyphus...rolling the stone up the hill...only to have it roll back down...all the while thinking ‘Well come on gods..,do your worst..,you won’t get me’. 

My brother and his wife will be here from Copenhagen next weekend for 4 days.  Getting very excited. We’re going to Paris next month though dates not confirmed yet and I’m also thinking about a couple of trips to Isle of Wight and jersey soon after. And Wales. 

As you may know, I was destined for grannydom last year then my son and his partner lost the baby. They were very stoical and now are expecting again...so I’m hanging on (22 November) for baby’s arrival. There’s no reason to suppose I won’t make it!

Yes, picnic in my garden tomorrow. Business as usual. Wine, gin, food and hi jinx. I’m going to wear my new turquoise kimono. Hope it goes well with the new ‘Skunk Anansi’ haircut. 

Hmmm...painkillers? No painkillers? Gin? Wine? Tea? (No). 

Pepys xx

• Well this is turning into quite a thread! 

Kiwiwolf I am delighted that you are back and cancer free and living life to the full. It’s lovely to hear from you again you’ve been a big miss. 

Have you noticed all of us ladies here seem to be partial to the odd G&t hmmm

Today is a really good day the sun has been shining and all is well with the world I’ve definitely learned to just live in the moment. Tomorrow will take care of itself. 

Hope you’ve enjoyed your new books Squeaky. And Pepys Granny Grace would be overjoyed. You certainly have her lust for life!

Xx

Kate 

• FormerMember

I’m just about to have a tipple, folks! Watching a film. Took the painkiller option in the end, little choice. Not much of a sleeper these days.

Aye, life is sweet 

Pepys xx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

You've still my support from the incs Lady Pepys but I'm having to be incognito.