Dad just told his cancer is incurable. Clutching at straws

• 3 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hi. My Dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer two weeks ago (adenocarcinoma in the head of the pancreas). It has just been confirmed that it has spread to the liver (more than one site in the liver) and is inoperable and incurable. He is going to be offered palliative chemo. He is 74 and in great health and at the moment feeling well (on Creon). Symptoms only started two months ago and were mild (nausea, abdominal discomfort), jaundice appeared five weeks ago today which led to all the investigations. We are devastated and I can’t accept that nothing can be done. His first oncology appointment is not for another ten days. I intend to discuss clinical trials with the oncologists but in the meantime I’m trying to do my own research and clinging to hope that there is a solution out there. Any experience or suggestions would be so much appreciated. I should add that he is under the NHS and a good oncology team and his MacMillan liaison nurse is excellent. I just need to know we have tried everything. I know everyone here is fighting their own battle but if anyone can help me in any way? Thank you x

• Hi  

I'm sorry to read that you've recently been told that your dad's pancreatic cancer is incurable and it's natural that you want to make sure that every avenue has been explored.

I'm not a member of this group but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list where it'll be easier to see.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could put something about your dad's diagnosis into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you so so much

• Hello Frida

I am sorry to hear your news.

I have been around various pancreatic cancer sites for a number of years now. Sadly, pancreatic cancer is a particularly horrible cancer for a number of reasons not least that it is hard to diagnose till it is well advanced. Also, very little progress has been made in reducing the mortality rate.

The only 'cure' for pancreatic cancer is an operation called the Whipple but as you point out because your father's cancer has spread this is not an option.

The oncologist will be able to discuss clinical trials with you and there may be something to help.

In your research you may come across success in Heidelberg. A few years ago this was quite a 'popular' private route to go as the surgeons there would often operate when they wouldn't in the UK but in the end I'm not sure the survival rates were better.

Care in the NHS with a good oncology team is probably the best place to be.

Squeaky