Had pre-treatment call and told I can't be with mum during treatment

• 1 reply
  • 20 subscribers

Mum is due to start Folfirinox next week and they are not allowing patents to have someone with them.

My mum is 76, she was referred for onset dementia early Feb, has hearing problems which she is supposed to be getting a hearing aid for unfortunately, she had an appointment for this in May which we were away for and a re-booking in August which again we were away for. 

She cannot hear what people are saying, forgets very easily and also goes in to a panic mode where she can't take information in. I take in all information for her and relay it in different ways to try and help her understand. I have to repeat information constantly and in different ways depending on how she is each day.

I explained this on the call but was told that since COVID they are not allowing anyone to accompany patents. I am so anxious about her going there alone and later in the day after telling her she started to talk about not having treatment at all.

I rang our care navigator yesterday to express my concerns and she is going to try and push to allow me to be with her for at least the first treatment. 

Has anyone else had this issue or is it just our hospital? 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

When I had chemotherapy last year for a different type of cancer, I didn't see anyone sitting in with those of us who were having it. That's not to say they didn't allow it, just that I didn't see it. However, I can see that you also posted this in the carers only group and you've recently posted that you will be allowed to accompany your mum, so that's good Slight smile

When you have a minute, it would be great if you could pop something about your mum's diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"