Hair falling out despite little chemo

• 1 reply
  • 22 subscribers

Hello, 

My dad has PC, he is terminal and things are heading south. 

He has only had 1 dose of palliative chemo, 4 weeks ago, and then wasn't able to have any more.

He had chemo last year for a while but that was stopped.  And it never effected his hair.

I know treatment can cause hair loss, but he's not having regular treatment, but today tons of his hair fell out in one go.

Is that still normal for treatment? Or could the cancer be spreading faster? 

Thankyou.   I'm finding it all very difficult to understand and process.

• Hello BekiBoo

Welcome to the Online Community. I am very sorry to hear of Dad's pancreatic cancer. It must be really hard for you all to cope with. Please remember that Macmillan are here to support you all in whatever way we can. If you feel talking things through with someone would help then please do give the Support Line a call. The details are at the end of this.

With regard to Chemo, different types can have different effects. It maybe the type that Dad had last year was one that did not cause hair loss. 

With the chemo I had last year I experienced hair loss, around 14 days after the first chemo so it maybe that the chemo session that Dad had 4 weeks ago was one that does cause hair loss. For example I had 2 different chemo drugs- carboplatin - that just caused hair thinning and paclitaxel that causes you to lose all your hair. 

It may be worth speaking with Dad's team and checking. I hope that you are getting the support you need from them. But it does sound like chemo hair loss with the way it is coming out and 1 cycle is enough, if it is a drug that causes it. 

Hope this helps a bit but if there is anything else we can do to support Dad or you, please just ask.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm