Waiting

• 1 reply
  • 21 subscribers

I have been diagnosed with stage 3 inoperable local advanced pancreatic cancer. 

I have had 12 rounds of chemo and then followed by 5 1\2 weeks of radiotherapy. The chemo has left me with peripheral neuropathy in both feet and hands. Which is quite tricky to live with.

I'm now waiting for my next scan, which will be early September. Waiting is the hardest thing for me. I'm having palpitations, trouble sleeping and probably drinking to much.

I have been told to enjoy the summer. My daughter is getting married in August which I am excited about.

Its hard having all that treatment and now nothing until September. 

• Hello Beatup,

I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. I had chemo last year and I also have peripheral neuropathy in my hands and feet. It is tricky at times. I have recently got one of those small plastic balls with soft spikes on them and I find that squeezing them helps- like a sort of exercise. With my feet I find that keeping moving helps and the days that I don't I definitely feel more numbness/pain.

I can understand that it will be hard to wait until September for your next scan. I get seen every 3 months and the time between is sometimes hard. Especially after being seen everyday during radiotherapy etc. But if anything does crop up before that there is nothing to stop you contacting your doctors. Or even your GP if you have a worry.

Have your palpitations been checked out? Just to get reassurance that it is the worrying perhaps.

It sounds like it will be a good summer for you with your daughter getting married and all the things to prepare for the wedding. Hopefully you may be able to relax a bit and focus on that rather than hospital visits. 

In the meantime please do ask if there is anything that we can support you with.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm