Mum has PC - Not sure how to handle anything

• 9 replies
  • 22 subscribers

My mum got diagnosed with PC just before Christmas. She has Jaundice and up until now all treatment she had has been for the Jaundice and scans and more scans for the cancer. 

We had the oncologist appointment yesterday, and they said that on a PET scan that had taken place earlier in the week the cancer had spread to a lymph node and there was spots on the liver which could mean the cancer has spread to the liver but we won't know until she has an MRI scan which could be another two weeks or so. I just feel like because of the size of my mums tumour and seems she had this for a while its more than likely spread as much as i am trying to keep positive. 

They cannot operate on the tumour because of its size and how close it is to vessels so they have offered Chemo to to try and shrink it and just prolong life I am guessing as they won't really say much until they have the MRI scan back for the liver, but have said that fi its spread to the liver it will be stage 4 and options will be limited. 

My mum is 76 and has a bit of dementia too, so she's not really showing her feelings and its difficult to judge what she is thinking as she won't really talk about any of it. 

My dad is her primary carer and he is finding it difficult too not so much with the caring aspect but with my mums dementia and just not knowing how she is feeling or what she is thinking. 

I just feel like I don't know what to say or do, I know my mum is fed up as she keeps saying she's had enough of hospital appointments, and she doesn't want to have chemo. She has signed the consent form, but because we don't talk about anything I have no idea how she is feeling. I don't want to upset her by saying the wrong thing. I always try and stay strong in front of my mum but its so painful, i think about her all day everyday. 

• Dear Iris Rainbow

such a tricky situation for you all, especially as your Mum is unlikely to be able to express her wishes. I too started PC almost three years ago with jaundice and liver mets.  Chemo is hard but it’s keeping me going (I’m 69) to spend as much time with my family as I can. Sending my best wishes 

• Thank you Lady Aga, in the meantime my mum has been told she's not well enough for treatment and only has a few months left. Thank you for taking the time to reply to me I really appreciate it. xxx

• The message I have just read gives me hope for my husband,recently diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer due to start chemotherapy soon

• I'm sorry, PC really is a tough one. All you can do is make the best of each day and keep as strong as poss and just 'be there'. Unfortunately, once its stage 4 there's little that can be offered, it really is horrible. Keep going and spend time together making memories xx

• Hello My mother was diagnosed with terminal PC last week and given 2 month. Bombshell mums 80 they can not do anything other than manage the pain. I can understand your thoughts on how long things take mum was in Hospital 6 weeks  only getting ctscan 3 ctscan4 she had 5 I think. After we were told they said everything would be fast tracked the RedCross crisis team was put in place for 2 weeks (they are amazing) but someone forgot to put mum on the fast track list so nothing else happened. Friday just gone a District nurse keep out to see us and told us they didn’t know how I’ll she was and that she’d sort everything out, which she did she was amazing that day A bed was delivered the Doctor came out went through lots of paperwork including DNR sorted medication tablet and injection.

I felt a release knowing thing were moving forward at last everyone that comes to help in someway is a blessing, you still have difficult times and and it’s very hard to think I should be doing more or even there must be more they can do but everybody involved is trying there best and that’s all we can ask.

wish you strength to get through and remember the good times you had together.

• H IrisRainbow

How are things going?? x

• Mum passed away on the 25th July. It was the worst day of my life what went through that last day was horrible. I miss her so much I don’t think I’ve come to terms with it yet.

• Oh no, so sorry xxx, how are you doing now? big hugs xx

• As you’d expect it’s been very hard so quick and unexpected but we’re getting there. Thanks