timescales for side effects: Folfirinox

• 17 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Hello friends, and happy Friday.

Mum is starting her first round of Folfirinox next week. I am planning to go with her for this first session, if she wants me - and I think she does.

Can anyone tell me how long it generally takes the sickness and general unwellness to kick in after chemo? And, I guess, when does one start to feel a bit better again?

Apologies is this in a naïve question, or not appropriate for this group.

Thanks,

Hilary

• Good luck tomorrow, Christine. I hope the side effects are not as bad as when you had it originally.

Mum seems to be able to cope better on the reduced dose. She still felt a bit sick and poorly a few days after her second treatment. But the anti-sickness medication worked, and she didn't end up back in hospital! Her third round is today, so fingers crossed. We're off for a girls' week in the Cotswolds next Monday, so I'm hoping she's not too bad. We were supposed to be going to Canada, but the diagnosis and prognosis put pay to that. :-(

Thank you for sharing your experience. Wishing you all the best. Stay in touch.

Hilary x

• Thanks Hilary! I'm so glad to hear your mum is coping better than before and hope this allows her to stick with the treatment. 

It's horrible having plans swiped from under your nose but hopefully you can create other memories (sounds cheesy I know Joy)

Christine x

• Christine

i completed my cycle of 12 Folfirinox treatments yesterday.

I felt awful after my 1sr two doses and the concentration levels were lowered on one of the drugs.  This made a huge difference.  The after effects of chemo have been tolerable since then.

I regained my appetite and weight has stabilised.

Hope your outcome is similar.

ian

• Thanks for that Ian, it's put my mind at ease!

I'll report back Thumbsup tone1

Christine 

• Just an update on my Mum.

We had a lovely week in the Cotswolds and towards the end of the week when Mum had recovered from her chemo, she had quite a lot of enerygy and was eating well.

She had her 5th round of chemo a couple of weeks ago and felt pretty poorly for most of the week after, mainly, it seems, because she'd run out of a tablet that settles her stomach. She now has a new supply and is feeling better.

Because her first round of chemo gave her extreme side effects that had her back in hospital, she missed her second round and picked up on what would have been the third round, The consequence is that now she is due her 6th and final session, they can't fit her in and she's having to nag the hospital to squeeze her in, and it may be last minute. Pretty tricky to manage when she's in her 80s and can't drive. :-(

She has a scan scheduled anyway and we are hoping fervently that the treatment has kicked this nasty little cancer back a bit. She's not sure she wants to go through with another series of chemo, but I suspect if it's been successful so far, she might.

It's so tricky as a daughter when your Mum says she may not want more treatment. It's like she feels she's letting me - us - down. In fact, I would rather she felt as well as possible for as long as possible and if that means no more chemo, then so be it.

I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself and my Mum today.

• Sending love and hugs to you both x

• Hello Peppersmum

It is always very difficult when someone is thinking about not having further treatment. One of the problems is that we really do not know whether treatment will bring much extra time or not. I think that you are right when you say that you would like your Mum to feel as well as possible for as long as possible and that might mean no more chemo. Be guided by what your Mum thinks and reassure her that whatever decision she makes she is not letting anyone down.

Squeaky