How Much Chemo?

• 7 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Long story short, following a Whipple op in Aug 2020 I had 12 cycles of Folfurinox. Got the all clear May 2021 only for it to return with liver metastases. Just completed another six months of gemcitabine/abraxane and scans show no change from Jan scans. So …… more chemo in May. How much chemo can I actually have/stand? 

• Hello Lady Aga

I am sorry to hear it has returned. I think the only person who can answer your question will be your oncologist. I think this will depend on your general health and the effect the chemo is having.

Squeaky

• You’re right, I know, just gutted to have to go 

• Face palm♀️through it all again 

M

• Lady Aga

I can truly understand how you must be feeling. I think to get through 12 cycles of Folfirinox is amazing. All credit to you for keeping going with it. The gem/abrax regime seems to be holding spread at bay.

Squeaky

• It's crap frankly isn't it. You don't have to have chemo- its up to you, there's no right or wrong with this.

Perhaps rather than folfirinox which as we know, is a very strong potent chemo, could you have a more palliative option?

These tend to be a little kinder and easier to tolerate. My Dad had abraxane and gemzar for recurrence and found this less harsh.

Each to their own and you would need to be guided by the oncologist as its individual, but maybe have a chat about types of chemo they could give a go? Unfortunately with PC the lines of treatment are very limited in comparison with other cancers, so its really what they and you are comfortable with and if you want it at all.

Not easy to think about, alot to consider. Perhaps have a chat with the nurses at PCUK who have a wealth of experience and advice.

I send you positive thoughts!! xx

• Thanks a million Squeaky, feeling much more positive today x

• Thank you Onelove3, next lot is gemcitabine/abraxane which has fewer side effects. I’ve got this x