upper abdomen/ chest pain cause

• 3 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi all, those of you who know me are aware that my Dad has recurrent pancreatic cancer and is doing relatively ok.

Recently, he has had pain in his chest that feels a bit like a pulled muscle, but hasn't gone away and although is more of a background pain, is annoying.

He has metatases - however its spelt- in his peritoneum, lung, leg muscle and lymphs.

He won't inform anyone about it of course- stubborn is an understatement but would love to know the likely cause...anyone help?

I have left a message with the cancer care line and I'm terrified they will call him directly and he'll know i've spoken to them- will be angry...and they may misjudge it and think its to do with his heart, hope to God i've not dug myself a hole!!

• Hi

I'm sorry to read that your dad has pain in his chest but I think you've done the right thing in contacting his hospital team. It's important that they're made aware of any changes to his symptoms and any pain he's experiencing so that they can help.

I'm hoping that since you posted this message they have been back in touch and sorted things out for him.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Very difficult as Dad gets very annoyed when he thinks others are poking their noses in! I think he worries that it'll start the process off of end of life care, when he just isn't ready for this yet. I understand the need for control and calm, however it may well lead to him accessing much needed help for him and the family. Its awkward trying to help him as he gets very stubborn and then it causes bad feeling.

Thankfully on this occasion, it has proved useful as they have found out about a benefit they didn't know they could claim- so I think i'm off the hook!

The chest pain continues, he's been advised to see if its managed with painkillers, but he's got a scan coming up - though no date as yet- so fingers crossed this will shed some light and we can find out how things are looking.

Thank you for replying, its good to know there are listening ears and kind words from those in/ have been in a similar situation. 

Take care x

• Hi

Yes I know how difficult it can be. My dad doesn't have cancer but he does have dementia and he objects to my sister and myself 'meddling' as he sees it. 

I suppose in some ways it's easy with my dad because 5 minutes later he's forgotten that he's said no to something we know will help him.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"