Dad diagnosed with inoperable PC

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi everyone....I'm new here but looking for advice. My lovely dad was diagnosed with inoperable advanced PC just 2 weeks ago. They have told us that due to the fact the tumour is next to some blood vessels they cannot remove it. We were told the tumour is about 2 to 3cm in size and hasnt spread at all to have lymph nodes etc. They said he is looking at just months.....poss 9 to 11. Hes had to failed stent surgeries so far as was only sedated and couldnt tolerate the procedure. This Monday coming he is being put under a general anaesthetic to have his bile duct stent procedure and then I believe the following week at liverpool will be having a stent put in his duodenum. Weve heard nothing about treatment yet. I'm so worried that he wont be offered a anythjng. He is 73 and apart from the cancer he is a very fit man. The doctors even said this for his age! I've read on here about tumors being shrunk in size from chemo and then being able to have surgery. Am I kidding myself....is this possible if near blood vessels. Can the tumour shrink and then become operable. I just feel like I need to help more. Hes now 9 stone still yellow still itching but hoping he stents will help. Sorry if I sound stupid this is all completely new to me and I just want to do more to help my lovely dad xx

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the Macmillan Online Community although sorry that you needed to find us and especially sorry to hear about your Dad’s diagnosis.

An incurable cancer diagnosis brings many questions, confusion and lots of stress. Being able to talk with other people who are walking the same type of journey will help you navigate this rollercoaster. 

The Community is organised into dedicated support groups. I see you have already joined our Pancreatic cancer group. I'd also recommend you join both our supportive Carers only and also Family and Friends groups, this will be a good place to connect with others navigating the same type of cancer journey.

To join a group just click on the links above then choose 'click to join' or 'join' (depending on the device you're using) on the page that opens. You can then introduce yourself by putting up a ‘New Thread’ or hit the box with the X on the top right (phones), you could just copy and paste the text from this your first post. You can also join in with existing ‘Discussions’ by clicking on 'reply'. 

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00 have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

All the very best Bx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hello 

my dad had the same exact thing. When they succeed in placing the stent the juandice started to disappear after 2 weeks but not completely disappeared so this was the first step. Then about the chemo I’m not really sure about his condition because each person is different than the other he will have to do scans to check wither the tumor shrank and he’s fit for the surgery or not yet.

i really hope he gets well stay strong

• Hi Bells6381,

I don’t normally post however I just wanted to let you know this time last year my Mum was diagnosed with PC which like your Father, her tumour was also beside blood vessels meaning my Mum couldn't get the whipples op at this time.

1 year down the line Mum has had 6 months chemotherapy which made her eligible for the whipples. We are now 5 months on from the op and Mum is doing well. Yes all of this has had a massive effect on her body/weight and mind and the op is massive but all in all I think she is doing well and I will forever be thankful for that.

Don’t give up hope and I will keep you and Dad in my prayers.

take care

x

• Horrible news when you get this diagnose. It sounds very similar to my wife in size and location. A stent will defo help in our experience 

my wife is having chemo, so don’t know why your dad can’t  in the hope it will shrink but no guarantees 

I sure you have but ask for more info and possibly a second opinion. It’s not something you want delaying as every day counts. Having said this chemo is not easy and comes with it’s on problems. 
    Hope you get some answers