Whipples good idea or not?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 23 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Hi, Everyone. I know we all have had different experiences, and that the only way to cure pancreatic cancer is by the Whipples op. My husband had a PET scan last week, which showed no cancer, which is fantastic news, and a result of the chemotherapy, radiation and prayer. He is now deemed fit enough to have a Whipples. 

My questions are:

Recovery time

Does the cancer still come back?

With the wonderful benefit of hindsite, would you have had the op? 

Sorry if they are such random questions, we are struggling with the idea, as a year ago, he was not fit enough, and this option came a bit out of the blue. 

Thanks for anyones opinion!!!! Tilly 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi

Thanks for sharing , did u have radiotherapy ? My husbands 6 cycle didn’t work and now he is due for radiotherapy but he keeps getting fever , so he is very worried as he is off from cancer treatment for 2 months now . His ERCP has been done now he is always constipated even medicine doesn’t work . Did u face any of this issues ?

• Hello Tilly and John, I’m nee here and happy to share my experience. End of June 2020 I had jaundice, turned out it was pancreatic cancer! I had a couple of failed ERPG procedures in July and was referred for a Whipple which I had in August aged 67. I was in hospital 10 days, came home weak as a kitten but determined to walk a little further each day. Six weeks later I started adjuvant chemo which is quite harsh and I’m very fatigued with the side effects, but I have course 8 this week then another 4. Fingers crossed I won’t need radiotherapy but it can’t be as rough as this chemo. To conclude, I was not terribly fit when I had my Whipple but I thank God I had it x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I had my whipples 3 years ago in May. The first couple of months were a bit slow but I soon got back to a near normal.

I have been very lucky I guess but I put weight on easily and am still not yet on the diabetic scale.

I am back to work, I did struggle at first but now can do almost as much as I did before I was ill.

I do manual work as. Builder and kitchen fitter, I still get tired but I am a fighter and will not give in when working.

on days off I love a siesta.

I was told I would not be able to gain weight ( wrong 15st)

I wouldn’t be able to eat a full meal( wrong I can eat a large plate from a Carvery)

I was told I would never gain the strength I had before my illness( ok they said80%, I feel about right with that one)

if I had my time again would I have the whipples? Yes without a doubt!

without that op I would not be here now!!!

it’s not for all but it was right for me.

Dudsy aged 59