Pre cancer Whipple procedure

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 43 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Hi I went for a ampullectomy via endoscope in Feb 18, the Dr doing it pulled out as he said that he thought the pre-cancer/tumour may already be cancerous.

Biopsy’s taken show high dysplasia.

I have since been to see a surgeon at Southampton General Hospital Mr Hamady who has offered me the Whipples procedure, now the “tumour “ is just in the bile/pancreatic duct it is possible that it’s not cancer but if it continues to grow it will block the duct and make ill again with pancreatitis ( which I have had twice, first one very nearly killed me) 

Has anyone else had the Whipple without having confirmed cancer first?

• Hi  Dudsy

8yrs ago my wife had a cyst found on her pancreas as a result of an MRI for another condition. Her Consultant surgeon advised the Whipple procedure as a precautionary measure even though it wasn't known if the cyst was cancerous or not. His philosophy seemed to be that even if a cyst proved to be benign as a result of a biopsy it could always turn cancerous at a later date so remove it to elevate any future potential  problems. However my wife declined the Whipple procedure. 

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Geoff999

Hi Geoff999 

And after eight years how is your wife doing?

I’m 56 now and really wondering what life is like after Whipples.

I’ve agreed to go for it but not 100% sure it’s the right move!!

Hope alls well

Dudsy(Paul)

• Hi again Paul

Now after 8 good years  her pancreas is showing signs of deterioration. ( She has had yearly MRI scans monitoring the cyst) But  we are not sure if this is due to Autoimmune Pancreatis a spin off concerning her Lupus which is a life long immune system disorder where the body's immune system sometimes attacks its own body. In other words this might not be cancer but we are awaiting the results of an IGG4  blood test to confirm or deny the Lupus connection. If it is Lupus related she can be treated with steroids. However if the worst proves to be cancer my lovely wife who  is now 70yrs has decided not to undergo  any proposed surgery or chemo if it does  prove to be cancer. This is because she feels too frail to undergo major surgery at her age and then cope with the aftermath following her experience of chemo and other drugs 16yrs ago when she had, and was cured of, Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. Cancer of the lymph glands.  

So she will never know if she had had the Whipple procedure 8yrs ago whether she would be in the condition she is now or not. But she doesn't regret her original decision. I obviously couldn't advise you my friend on any decision you might finally make because as you can see both our medical cases are worlds apart. All I can say is you are a young man in comparison to my wife and the odds are well in your favour I would guess. As an aside I have a friend of your age who had the Whipple procedure and 7yrs on he's doing fine. Still working as a plumber.

Love and healing to you Paul.

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.

• yes,  i had 3 endoscopies/biopsies and other tests and they couldn't say definitely if it was cancerous or not. i was offered the option of the whipple or tumour removal via laparoscopy. i went for the whipple as they said that the needle endoscopy showed that the tumour was tough (which suggested cancer). i opted for the whipple and the tumour turned out to be cancerous, that was coming up to 6 years ago. my tumour (by the time of the op) had spread to the duodenum. five years of tests and scans has not showed a return.

bob

• forgot to say, i was 55 years old when i had the op and glad i went for it.

• sorry Dudsy, forgot to add that i had a tumour in the ampulla, which blocked the bile duct which sent me yellow. now suffering for from old age which means i've taken 3 posts instead of the one! ... i've no regrets only thanks

bob

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to bobs2

Hi Bob

Thank you for reading and replying, can I ask what you quality of life is and how has it changed from what you were before?

I have read all sorts from people being frail and weak to others that were running and playing golf after a short time.

I’m not a sporty type but was kept fit through my work as a kitchen installer,

I feel good at the moment and it’s the best I have felt since my first serious pancreatitis attack almost a year ago.

I think I will go ahead with the Whipples as I don’t want to get that I’ll again.

Dudsy

• Hello Dudsy,

i was a little tired after the operation and things went well for the first few months, but then got tireder and had a few things such as weight loss and cramps.  Now it seems that i should have had PPIs (proton pump inhibitors (to stop reflux after eating) and creon(pancreatic enzymes)  straight after the operation, those two medications ensure that you can eat enough and get all you can from what you are eating. Knowing what i know now, i would still have the operation again,  the stomach muscles will be  a little weak for a few months after the op, but if you are able to eat enough and get the nutrition (ask about creon and PPIs) you will recover fairly soon.

bob

• i suspect that it's also easier with the whipple to check for any spread, mine had spread to the duodenum and that was removed in the op, but hadn't spread back to the stomach so i had the PPPD whipple (pylorus preserving pancreatic duodenectomy. not vure if it's exclusive to the whipple, but with my op the lymph nodes were also checked. the worst bit for me was the bed bath! it's not as good as in the carry on films...but that experience helps you to get up and was yourself! :-)

bob

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to bobs2

Hi Bob 

where did you have your op? i'll be having mine in Southampton.

i have been taking Creon 25,000 since my first attack, less as time goes by but i am used to taking them and gauging for different meals.

thank you for your info, i find talking to others already having the op is like a kind of therapy for me.

best wishes

Dudsy