Hello, new here, looking for advice

• 4 replies
  • 55 subscribers

Hello all, last Friday week I went to the doctor's for bleeding after menopause, got sent to have a transvaginal scan. I had the scan this Friday, I didn't  ask any questions, the sonographer just said at the end "the doctor will call you in a couple of days".. Today (Monday) I noticed that I have a referral pending in my NHS app for Gyne hysteroscopy to be actioned before Wednesday. then I had a call from the doctors this afternoon asking me to get an urgent ca125 blood test and  he informed me I am now on the two week pathway and to wait for a letter and don't get freaked out about the wording on the letter.. I didn't ask any questions at all about the scan outcome as I just blank out at things.like this...

Edit. Hysteroscopy booked for 5th August now (13 days)

My question is.. should I be concerned about the speed things are getting booked or is this normal now in the age of instant results/computers etc?

Can I ask what was seen on the scan?

• Hi  and welcome to the group

Try not to be too worried about things happening quickly-it’s a good thing, as the sooner the investigations are done, the sooner you will know what’s happening. Being on the pathway means that things are done quickly, but it doesn’t mean you have cancer at this stage as no-one knows, but they would want to rule it out, hence the tests. You may see the words “suspected cancer” but that is standard on these letters.

Having the ca125 test is also not a definite indicator of cancer-it is looking for levels of a particular marker in the blood which may indicate cancer. It’s not a diagnosis yet though. 

The sonographer doesn’t always give any indications of what has been seen on a scan, but yes, you would normally have an appointment to discuss results of the scan and ca125 test and you will be advised of anything which has been seen/found. In my own experience, my gynaecologist wanted to have different test results all back before seeing me. 

I hope you’ll let us know how you get on, and please try not to worry too much until you know more. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you Sarah for taking the time to reply and clarify a few things for me.  Like probably everyone here, it's the waiting and uncertainty and your brain automatically thinks the worst! 

• Oh, the waiting is always horrible and can be the worst time for us all-the not knowing is hard to cope with and like being in limbo. Things honestly start to become easier when we know exactly what we’re dealing with and have a plan of any next steps needed. I hope all goes well for you.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi how did you get on.

I'm in a similar boat.