Ovarian cancer

• 11 replies
  • 53 subscribers

Hi everyone, new on here as just recently had the bad news after a ca125 blood test and a ct scan sjowed cancer markers. I am terrified of the unknown and how I will cope as I live on my own. At the moment my tummy is quite bloated and uncomfortable when I'm walking. The worst thing is nocturnal calf cramps which are so pIainful and prevent me getting a full nights sleep. I am having a biopsy nxt wed to establish the stage of my cancer and the treatment available. has anuone else with ovarian cancer suffered with nasty cramps.

• Hi, new here blood test and scan next week but also concerned that back and leg problems may have been a red herring. I did have some leg cramps too but think that was related to long haul trip I took. Hope all goes well with your biopsy x

• Fingers crossed all is well with your scan anf blood tests

Thank you for replying to my question regarding cramps. Wednesdsy biopsy cannot come soon enough, its the waiting around for tests and results that get to you. X

• I also had bad leg cramps, just kept rubbing and massaging them to get the cramps out. They have settled now, so hope they are getting less frequent. Getting no sleep is hard as it is then difficult to function. Hope you get the support you need. 
  • Thanls for sharing yr experience with cramps. Last night I tried sleeping propped up, an this seemed to give some relief to the cramps. Hopfully as with you they will lessen in time. jow is yoir treatment going

• Thanks for that, will definitely do it as it's so easy. Day 4 to day 8 of my 1st cycle I was ready to give up, so called helpline and got through straight away. Needed more than paracetamol, but then given co codamol from Gp made it worse. Back to paracetamol. Been trying to contact my consultant to tell him of side effects as they need to know before 2nd dose. Tried calling, messaging, then tried my dedicated nurse, still not been able to get through!! I am going to have to go and see them in person. Sorry for the rant.

• Nothing to apologise for, its so stressful and frustrating when you cant get in touch with people who should be there to support you. I take ibuprofen and paracetamol together to ease any discomfort in my stomach. Cocodamol does not agree with and makes me feel sick so stay clear of that one. Which hospital are you under? mine will be the hallamshire in sheffield. I will add you to my prayers and hope yr treatment goes well. xx

• I am at Christie Manchester and lucky in the fact that it is only 30 minutes away. Support and advice from this group is really helping me cope and realise that we are all going through this together. 

• Good morning Teddie

Sorry to hear you are suffering with bad leg cramps. Probably a daft question but are you drinking plenty of water? My sister atarted taking a nagnesium tablet before bed and that helped her cramps but check that with your nurse before taking it. 

You can buy massage guns too if you can afford it. I do hope they settle down. I can only take paracetamol and ibuprofen for most things but I have liquid morphine for when my bone pain gets severe. Although I haven't experienced cramp.

Thought I'd mention, I live alone too & always happy to chat. I am blessed with lots of family and friends nearby to support me. Perhaps think about your support network and also if there are any local services near you. We have a drop in Macmillan centre and just chatting to others over a cuppa is a big help. Wishing you well with your biopsy, I also found that time to be the most anxious so do what you can to relax a little, walks, meditation, connecting with others xx

• Hi Teddie, are the cramps so bad you can't put any weight on the affected leg?
    It's likely not this, but some types of ovarian cancer can cause blood clots, which can be how people get diagnosed in the first place. Call McMilllan during the daytime and they will be able to advise you.
    Sending my good wishes 

• Thanks emcee. have spoken to the cancer support nurse, an she is going find out more. it could be tumour is squashing a nerve. I am able to get out of bed an hobble around the room till it eases. Also going to take immodium for the diarrhoea and mebeverine for the awful stomach cramps lets hope this sorts my cramy stomach out.

Hoping your treatment is going well , and your feeling well in yourself x