Worried for my wife

• 2 replies
  • 50 subscribers

Hi,

I wondered if I can get some advice. My wife called the Dr,s this week because the lymph nodes on the back of her head were inflammed and hurting. This had been going on for a while, she was told it was probably high allergy levels.

Anyway, she has been having bloating, irregular periods and an upset tummy for a while. When she called the Dr,s told her that due to her PCOS that she was likely anemic and to pop for a blood test to be sure. That was yesterday.

Today the Dr has called her back and told her that her blood tests results together with her symptoms suggest that she has ovarian cancer. She has a scan booked for next week,.but to say we are now worried having gone from being anemic to ovarian cancer in 24hrs after 1 blood test would be an understatement.

My wife had an ultrasound last year as was having irregular periods then and that was all clear, so a bit of a shock to be told this today

Is this normal?

All the best

Matthew

• Hi Matthew,

Sorry you find yourself here - but great that you’ve reached out to this site to help you support your wife .

Completely understand how anxious you’re both feeling - sadly this is often how it happens - this thing comes hurtling into our lives without warning and turns everything upside down. I found, in my own case, that the period of not knowing and having 101 why’s and what if’s racing round my head was far worse than eventually being diagnosed and starting my treatments.

If you take a read through some of the postings on this site you’ll see that the symptoms you describe are common with OC -  but they’re also common with a number of other conditions, and often misdiagnosed, so it’s great that the doctor is checking your wife’s bloods and getting her scan booked in quickly to rule OC in or out.

Wishing both of you all the best for next week- and it’d be great to hear how your wife gets on if you feel like posting again,

love Bx

• Thank you for replying so quickly. Our scan is on Thursday, so hopefully we will know more by then...