Post chemo side effects

• 5 replies
  • 51 subscribers

Hello all.

I finished chemo at the end of last May, and I wondered if anyone else has found that they have very painful joints. At first, everything seemed fine, but, as time has gone one, I have very painful finger joints, and that my fingers are swollen, and I can no longer wear my rings. Other joints have also been affected, but not as badly.

I have heard that this can happen following chemo, but wondered if anyone else has experienced this.

I have otherwise been well, thank goodness, and my follow ups have all been okay.

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm glad to read that you are generally well but having very painful joints must be very unpleasant. I don't have any experience with this but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet.

I've found these previous posts for you which mention painful joints. You could have a read through some of these and respond to any of the more recent ones if you think the poster might be able to help you further.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Melverley, Good to hear you’re doing ok since chemo ended. I’ve had some joint aches etc. but I think they’re a side effect of the Avastin which I’m on as a maintenance treatment. I hope it al settles down for you soon. 

• Hi Melverley, 

I still suffer with my joints 18 months after chemo. It has improved as it was in my legs, knees and feet and I used to have to wait for them to ‘come online’ before I could walk about when I had been in bed or sitting for some time. Now I do have aches and pains that I didn’t have before but no where near as bad. I do suffer with my fingers though.

I would mention it to your dr to see if they can suggest anything to help, but hopefully it will ease off.

keep well xxx

If the plan doesn't work, change the plan but never the goal!
  • Hi Tania-Teapot,

many thanks for your reply. I am glad to hear that your joints are feeling better. It is good to know that it's not just me, and that chemo does affect our joints. I have spoken to my GP about my painful fingers, and have had my bloods checked, and that was all okay. I do take painkillers when I need to, and I'm hoping that it will improve over time.

It is very nice to hear from you. Hope you are keeping safe and well. XXX

Melverley
  • Hi Melverley,

I finished my chemo in Feb 2021, and a few weeks later started on PARPi, I already had osteoarthritis in both my knees.  I have suffered pain and swelling in my knees and my fingers....the knee consultant did say that chemo has affected it and it does get worse, but will settle down with a bit of time...atm he can't offer me any inj or surgery for my knees but reassured it would settle down as things begin to go back to normal..