Depression and menopause

• 3 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hello

I was diagnosed with Stage 4B ovarian cancer in summer 2023. Since then treatment (chemotherapy and surgery) has gone really well and amazingly my last scans were cancer free. This is obviously wonderful news and a great outcome given how advanced my cancer was.

It is naturally been a challenging journey to this point, but mostly I have been in very good spirits and all my friends and family have been impressed with how well I have handled things. But, in the last few weeks it feels like everything has fallen down arround me and I am struggling to cope. I have been prescribed antidepressants and having councilling, but nothing is helping. I don't know if it is the impact of menopause post surgery, delayed processing of the stress and trauma of the last few months, but it is very difficult. 

Interested to know if anyone else has had the experience?

• That really must have been amazing news! I too have stage 4b ovarian cancer so hearing your news has given me more hope. Can I ask where yours had spread to? Mine is lung & lymph nodes in my neck. I've had 1 chemo so far Pray

So sorry to hear of your experience now.  I have read how difficult it can be post treatment to lead a 'normal life'. It is a huge journey you have been on so in a way it is not surprising. I hope you continue to stay well and get the support you need. You have clearly been strong through treatment and that spirit will see you through x

• Thank you so much for your kind words and I am very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. 

My cancer had spread to the peritoneum, the diaphragm through to the lung cavity, and lymph nodes in the chest. Originally they though it had spread to the liver, but surgery confirmed this was luckily just the liver capsule.
    I had three rounds of chemo before surgery and was lucky that the cancer was very responsive to this. The main tumour shrunk from c. 11cm to c. 3cm!
    I wish you all the best with your treatment. Any other questions, feel free to let me know. x
  • I’m sorry to hear you’re struggling, sounds like post traumatic experience which is completely understandable, really hope the counselling starts to help, I am at the beginning of my journey and hearing about the positive results of your treatment gives me hope, Learning to live with cancer is such a roller wherever we are on the journey, before diagnosis, during treatment and afterwards.